Going Home

Going Home

---

I can't do this anymore. I just can't. My parents abuse me verbally on most days, which is bad enough. But, today, today is different.
Today, they physically abuse me.
I cower behind the kitchen counter, waiting for my parents to hit me. My mother's pretty blonde head appears above the counter, my father's drunken brunette head next to her, two inches shorter.
When they hit me, they do it with their hands. Each hit is a blow to my pride. They are blows to my personality, blows to myself. If I can make it to tomorrow, which I doubt I can, I will be skipping school. My "friends" have no reason to know what happens at my house.
After they shove me into my room, locking my door from the outside, I debate my options. The harder choice is to stay and await more punishment. The easier choice is to end this. I open my window and climb onto my roof to make my decision.
After much debate with myself, I decide what to do. Today is my last day in this world of misery. The secrets weighing me down will be released. I will forget my parents. Eventually, they will forget me.
I slide down off of the roof onto the concrete patio and run to the field behind my house. Before too long I make it to the cliff overlooking the ocean.
When I get there, I pause, catching my breath. My dark hair whips around my face in the wind. My pale yellow dress tangles on my legs, and my scarf wraps around my neck. I look out in front of me, seeing this view for one last time. When I am done looking at this world, this world of misery, I gather my strength one last time, and jump.
I have never felt so free in all of my life. I am flying. The weight holding me down is gone. When I near the bottom of the cliff, I breathe for the last time. Then, I hit the ground, and I am gone forever from this world.

---

A/N: Hello again! I know it's not been very long since I updated (yesterday), but this is the piece I wrote last year for English class. Hope you like it! Don't forget to please comment, vote, and promote!