I had not realised how much I was shaking until he mentioned my birth name. Whether from fear or anger, I had no idea. Yet, I refused to face him. If the mystic was Mei Mingzi, he would not be talking in circles. Nor would he have faked his death and left me alone with all his empty promises. For me, Mei Mingzi had died in that accident 3 years ago.

"Since you've told me your name, Liling, I'm Lijie." Lijie strode forward and enveloped me in a hug from behind when I remained silent. "Are you mad that I left you? I'm sorry, I can explain, I-"

Lijie....

Lijie???

This man...

He was a prince too?

Forget no name, Lying must've been his name because why else would his every word be so carefully placed? 'Mingzi' had not been obliged to tell me anything in the 3 months we had known each other. Still, while I had poured out all my fears and frustrations onto him, everything he'd told me was a lie. How could he dare to act like this?

Turning, I raised my arms and shoved him away. "I'm just a wandering man. Someone without a home or anywhere to go. I have been walking around for so long that I've forgotten my own name. So I guess that's why I've chosen to be called Mei Mingzi." It felt strange to recount his words I had spent so long going over in my mind. My eyes begun to burn.

"Mingjun-ah, have you ever wondered what's on the other side? I mean, what do you think happens after death? What? You don't care as long as you can eat almond cookies? Ha, those are such simple dreams. I don't know how I'll survive this mundane world without you." I couldn't cry in front of this man. "Well, how was it? How were those 3 years in 'this mundane world'? Were you happy that you finally threw me away?" I ducked my head once more, blinking angrily. Why was I crying? I had to show him I'd grown without him. Crying would mean losing to him again.

"You bastard. If you were tired of me, you could've just said so. Why'd you have to be such a good person to me and then ditch me like that? I-"

"BAI LILING!" Both the mystic and I turned towards the shout. In the near distance, my father stormed towards us, Suwei almost jogging to keep up with him. He was furious. His thick neck bulged with veins, his hurried steps almost stomping into the cobbled path.

"Liling greets-"

"Ah, 2nd prince, greetings! I hope my daughter didn't bother you...." Father reached out and grabbed me roughly by the elbow, yanking me away from the mystic 2nd prince. "This duke sincerely apologises if Liling has offended you. She's just a little girl and doesn't know much about-"

"Duke Han, are you aware that your daughter is a mystic?"

Father spluttered to a stop as soon as those words left the 2nd-prince's mouth.

"Although miss Bai hasn't awakened yet, she possesses a strong spiritual aura. Hmm, it would most definitely be a shame if this prince doesn't keep miss Bai by my side."

Feeling the grip on my arm loosen, I glanced up at the duke, expecting him to go into a fit of anger. However, his eyes gleamed with ambition. I scoffed, pulling my arm from father's, ready to leave when he spoke. "Your highness, this duke is certain that Liling is not a mystic. Can't spiritual energy sometimes be transferred from spending time with mystics? My daughters', Han Chunyu and Chunli's, maternal grandmother was a mystic. Yes, I'm sure of it! Liling reads with my daughters a lot, so that must be it! Their energies must've rubbed off on her, hence why your highness-"

"Duke Han, are you saying that this prince is a fool?" The 2nd prince thundered, reaching out to pull me to his side.

Seriously, could they not grab my arms? I was still recovering from getting hit by Renjun's wooden sword.

If this pissing contest continued, my arm would be black and blue before we could even leave the garden. Why couldn't father do anything right? Was it that hard to 'legally' kick me out?

From behind father, Suwei glanced around, no doubt looking for his younger brother. Assuming Bingwen was the reason Renjun always came home late with a slight limp.... Our dearest brother would not be returning anytime soon.

"Ah, no, this subject wouldn't dare. 2nd-prince, this subject is merely cautious for your highness's sake. Li- My daughter is not very well-mannered and may be the cause of a lot of grief if your highness decides to pursue her."

Why, if we were not at the palace and this was not my father, I would've smacked this man!

The 2nd prince's grip on me tightened. "Well, duke Han. Fear not, for this prince has eyes and a working brain. I sense that miss Bai will be awakened soon, but before then, this prince would like to ask for duke Han's blessing for miss Bai and I's union." The last part was said to me. Mingzi, or whoever he was, smirked, his devastatingly beautiful eyes flashing yet again with some unknown emotion. This once familiar action now seemed so strange and weird to me.

I ignored it, choosing instead to stare at my father. For once, hoping that he would acknowledge our contract by disregarding me again. However, it was all for naught. When father's eyes met mine, I knew that there was no hope. 

"Very well, if your highness wishes it, then so be it."