11~ Target Practice

Zacznij od początku

The next knife was thrown, this time just above Tris's head, Four didn't give her time to prepare for the next one, he had already thrown it and grazed her ear.

She hadn't flinched.

For a moment I thought Eric looked proud "points for bravery, Stiff" he pointed his finger at her as he said "but not as many as you just lost for opening your mouth" his tone dropped to nothing as he said "now watch yourself. We train soldiers not rebels" that was a threat, clear and simple yet hidden "alright, we're done for the day. Get out"

Everyone shifted immediately, I walked out with Eric and noticed Tris and Four stay behind.

"Have you got work today?" Eric asked as I was leaving.

"I do... why?"

"No reason, I thought we could go out for a drink"

I stared at him blankly for a second "you mean... leave... your apartment?" I mocked.

He smirked "yes"

"Wow" he rolled his eyes as I imprinted this conversation on my brain, I wanted to remember it for the next time Eric brought whiskey home "I'd love to, really, you have no idea but-"

"Eric" Drake shouted as he approached us "hey Prue"

"Long time no see, big guy"

Drake shrugged "this is a busy time for the leaders, Eric's lucky" training the initiates was like Erics free ticket out of all the meetings.

"Is there a reason to your presence?" Eric groaned irritably.

Drake pulled a face and said "meeting"

"Now?"

"Now"

"Guess I couldn't go out drinking anyway" Eric leant down and pecked a kiss to my lips before running off with Drake.

They weren't two seconds away before Drake turned back and said "talk to Leanne, she's worried you'll hate her forever"

"I don't hate her, I just haven't had the time" that was a lie, and he knew it.

The three of us separated, I went to the control room and relieved Logan so he could get some sleep. About five minutes later Four arrived.

"Say it" I said.

"What?"

"What you want to say"

His lips pressed together into a harsh line "that wasn't necessary today" he remained calm, though I could tell he was furious "he's just sore because he lost yesterday"

"Yes, he is" there was no point in pretending to disagree.

Four looked surprised "you seemed to agree with him in there"

"He was teaching a lesson, and I think it was taught, don't you?"

"He could have taught it literally any other way!"

"What, like smacking Al on the wrist and sending him on his way?" I raised my eyebrow "Eric made his point"

Four scoffed and crossed his arms "I don't believe this" he was speaking almost to himself, nevertheless I had heard and intended on replying.

"Believe what?"

He gestured to me "you're supposed to be the reasonable one! The one who tells him when he's acting like a cave man!"

I shrugged and quickly ran my eyes over the monitors, nothing was happening, the Factionless were offering me no reprieve "how can I when I agree? Maybe he didn't go about it the right way but his point was made, I bet Al will try harder next time" Four shook his head "look Eric's job is to rile them up, make them hate him enough to want to prove him wrong. He forces their potential out of them and in the end I bet they'll be grateful. I was"

"Oh yeah? Well what am I for?"

"Does it matter?" I stared at him, he was waiting "don't worry, they're still scared of you if that's what you mean"

"Whatever. Just do me a favour, keep your boyfriend in check"

I rolled my eyes and turned my back on Four so I could give the monitors my undivided attention "it's not as easy as it looks, you know. I'm not with him to control him, I'm with him to accept him"

I didn't need to look back, I could tell that Four was choking on his own metaphorical vomit "how poetic"

"Well, we're not exactly Romeo and Juliet, I'll give you that"

"Romeo and Juliet?" Four fell into the chair next to me, finally, a change of subject.

"Yeah, have you read it?"

"I have" hmm, you learn something new everyday.

"Did you like it?"

Four thought on this "I thought it was boring. I prefer Macbeth"

"Of course you do" I laughed.