"Glad you made it, cousin!" he said excitedly. "Come on in. My friends are eager to meet you."

I put my hand up as if to stop him.

"I'm not here as an exhibition for your straight people, okay?" I said.

"What? No! I just want you to have some fun," he said. "Come on, loosen up, Nina. They're fun people. Nothing serious."

He smiled and gestured for me to go inside. I sighed and followed him.

The house was swarming with teens. The beat of the music seemed to echo right through my chest. If it was any louder, I would have mistaken it as a heart attack. There were boys all over the place. They were shouting, laughing, smoking, drinking beer, and eating chips, candy, and pretzels. There were two girls with their feet up against the wall as they twerked.

I found Piper sitting on the couch. She looked stunning in some red backless and a short. I wanted to go over to her, but out of nowhere, Jack Conner walked in. He looked at me as if he'd just seen Jesus.

"Nina!?" he cried in surprise. His voice was loud enough to be heard above the noises, causing everyone to look at me.

Piper turned her face to us. I gave Jack an awkward smile. I just prayed that he wouldn't get any closer. Luckily, before he could come over to me, Andrew and Nathan walked into the room. They hollered like some wild boars. One of them shoved a bottle of beer in my hand. I took it only because I didn't want to drop it to the floor. The rug looked a little moist and squishy already. The place was actually a madhouse full of hormonal teenagers.

"You know my cousin?" Jay asked Jack, leaning into his ear.

"Oh! She's the cousin that you told us about?"

Jay nodded. There was a look of discomfort in Jack Conner's eyes as he looked at me again. Now he knew I was also Piper's cousin.

Piper had disappeared when I looked over at the couch again. That didn't stop Jack from showing me the food table and drinks. I wanted to find Piper, yet it was not easy to actually see anybody because it was pretty dark and smoky. The mixed smell of food and something fragrant hung in the air. Then Jay also disappeared with some friends and that left me with Jack. He was grinning. A brunette girl offered me things to eat.

There were girls with tanned skins in short shorts and tank tops. They danced sensually against each other as the guys sat staring from the corners. Another bunch of girls and guys surrounded a pool table, hollering at two girls lapping vodka off each other's body. I tried not to shake my head at their male-teasing body shot.

I caught a few guys eyeing me from a dark room. One of the bulky guys was staring right at me and grinning. It was creepy, and I turned away.

"You just did me a world of good by coming here tonight, Nina," Jack said as I took a bite of pepperoni pizza. His overly sweet words almost made me choke. Later, Phoebe, Claudia, and Jessica walked in and joined us at the pizza table. They shared some jokes with me and asked me about Russia. Soon I felt less uncomfortable being here. Maybe Jay was right— I should loosen up and let myself socialize again.

I drank some sweet fruity wine instead of beer and felt relaxed enough to tell a joke my dad had told me. It was something about a man who asked the Genie to make him a thousand times smarter than any man on earth. The Genie turned him into a woman.

The girls laughed so hard, they snorted beer up their noses. The music turned from rap music to electro beats and then to rock metal. I thought I might have a brain damage after this.

"Do you want to dance?" Jack asked me. His breath smelled too much of beer.

"No, thanks." I shook my head.