Chapter 7 - Misconception

---Max' POV---

The beeping of the life support was unnerving, a chilling reminded that my brother was barely alive. Each breath he took was forced through his lungs by machines, his body slowly but surely healing from the wounds that could've been lethal.

I never left his side since that day. The wolf inside paced, growling and agitated, whimpering and whining at the lack of a mate but I scoffed and pushed him as far down as possible. I should never have listened to my wolf in the first place.

Reaching out, I held the hand of Gavin, my older brother and sighed when there was no response. He had been suspicious of my so called mate, a rogue who had nearly crossed our boundaries.

Border patrol had called in the rogue near our territory and I had been one of the wolves to go and investigate. Imagine my happiness and elation when it was none other than my mate who had made a kill right outside our home.

I had been so overjoyed and had instantly accepted him. He had been introduced to the pack as my mate and I had introduced him to my family especially.

They were welcoming of him, accepting him with open arms...except for my brother. From that very first day, he had refused to shake hands with Kyle, stating that we were pushing things too quickly, that the mating bond was muddying my brain and made me, all of us, act irrationally.

And instead of listening to him, I had been convinced that the mating pull would make things right. But it seemed that when a wolf went rogue, they'd never be able to change back to normal.

A low growl slipped past my lips as I stood and went to the window. My heart burned viciously just at thinking of my mate. Even now after all this time, my wolf was still angry at me, wanting to go out and look for him.

As if. He could rot in the forest, all alone. Maybe his dying breath would release me from this pain that my wolf inflicted on me, wanting to be near him.

I turned when Gavin coughed weakly, a sign that he was slowly waking up. It had been months since the rogue attack, where rogues had miraculously slipped past the border patrols.

A pack of eight rogues maimed a six year old girl, nearly killing her before her parents could run them off. Everyone had been darting around, trying to locate the rogues and kill them before they killed us.

And it seemed that was the opportune moment that my so called mate had used. When we found him, he was standing overtop my brother, his head poised over Gavin's throat to deliver a killing blow. Gavin had been able to fight off several rogues, killing them in the process judging from the four rogue corpses that were strewn around the forest.

Yet my mate, Kyle... his fur was coated in Gavin's blood as if it had sprayed all over him, his muzzle drenched in the life giving liquid as he looked up from on top of my brother's limp form. Panting and mouth open, his teeth mere inches away from Gavin's mangled throat.

And he had the nerve to look shocked. Shocked! A snarl ripped from my throat as I kicked the chair back, breaking it in the process. He had probable been shocked that we tumbled upon his treason and could prevent him from killing my only sibling.

Hell, even now, my parents were still wondering what happened but it was clear as day, the evidence was all there, screaming in their faces. Kyle had never been part of our pack and would never be capable of becoming a pack wolf.

It was clear that my mate was beyond saving.

My wolf snarled at that, snapping his teeth before I shoved him back down, refusing to listen to his pleas. In his demented and love sick eyes, Kyle hadn't committed any treason. Yet, why was my brother still fighting for his life, huh?

I never once looked back at my mate when the pack surrounded him. My brother had my immediate attention and I had followed after him when the pack doctors dragged his body off, as he needed surgery right that instance.

My wolf had howled at me when I ignored my mate's attempts to like to me and I had raised my hackles and snarled when he dared to plea and ask for my help, as if he had done nothing wrong.

And now, months later, my brother was finally recovering. He had several surgeries done to seal his throat, which seemed to have been bitten into by several wolves, along with bite and scratch marks on his scruff and shoulders. The tearing of several wounds showed that he had managed to fling the rogues off before they dealt a lethal blow but combined, they would've killed him if we had been any second later.

Taking a few calming breaths, I sighed and relaxed on the floor, knowing the nurse had probably heard the commotion and would bring over a new chair. She had done it several times already, as I'd take my anger out on the furniture whenever I thought of my mate.

Well, ex mate.

For all I knew, he was already dead. I had felt his pain but I had ignored it, hell, had reveled in it while I stared at the doors of the E.R., waiting for pack doctors to come out and either rejoice in having saved my brother, or send me to hell with their news.

After that faithful day, I hadn't sensed Kyle's presence or wolf in my head. Nor did I feel any connection in the back of my mind, alerting me of his condition. I hadn't even bothered to ask the Alpha what had happened to Kyle.

Not after what he had done to Gavin.

Curling my fists, I hissed sharply and opened them again, scowling at the splinter that stuck deep under my skin. I yanked it out without a care and lapped at the wound, allowing the components in my saliva to boost the healing.

Gavin coughed once more, stirring slightly and I stood, grasping his hand and speaking to him calmly. He didn't need to be fearful of Kyle ever again. I was sure of that.

I squeezed his hand, feeling my heart jump and race as he squeezed back before I shouted at the nurse. My mind instantly opened, pulling at the links of my parents to alert them, knowing that any minute now, Gavin was going to open his eyes again.

For once, we could breathe and relax, knowing that my brother was going to be okay, even if he had a few scars added to his body. But then again, the nurses were already working on those, rubbing a thick salve on them whenever they changed his bandages and had reassured us that Gavin's scars would dissipate over time.

My hearth thumped in my throat as I watched Gavin frown and shake his head, eyes fluttering slightly before he finally managed to open them. I grinned through my tears, holding his hand firmly as I saw him smile in confusion.

"Max..." He breathed before coughing while I hushed him. "Easy Gavin, take it easy. You've been out for quite some time. No, no, don't talk. The doctor will be here soon to check you up and make sure you're alright. Mom and dad are on their way." I reassured him, watching as he smiled softly before closing his eyes.

Fuck....

I shivered and leaned my head back, barely able to contain myself and prevent from sitting there like a sniveling, whining pup. Instead I shook all over, biting my lip and rubbing over my brother's hand, hoping that the doctors were going to give him the all clear.

And when he was fully awake, there was no doubt in my mind that he'd finally reaffirm what I've told my parents all along. He'd erase any hesitation, as I was sure he'd point out Kyle as the one who had been behind this entire mess and the reason why several of the pack had been wounded, floating on the edge of death.

I just knew it.

Even if my wolf was snarling at the thought, pacing back and forth with a sense of desperation, anger and ... glee? Whatever. The mutt would soon learn that he was in the wrong and Kyle wasn't innocent.

And I couldn't wait to rub it into his face.

A.N. So, a glimpse through the eyes of Kyle's former mate. Didn't expect this, did you?

I am interested though. Do you think Max is right in his assumptions? Lemme know in the comments ;)