twenty-two; ❝archery❞

"Let's go out for a run?" I ask Jesenia, intertwining our hands together playfully.

It's been about a week since our skit, and even longer since I had last seen my dad. 

 Everything is better now, and I feel like my life is returning to its usual stable state. I'm scheduled to meet with my old therapist tomorrow, and I'm feeling surprisingly good right now. 

I've been trying to not allow my anxious thoughts and worries to control me, or at least, not bother me as much as they used to. It's much easier said than done. But, I know that any progress is great progress.

"So the truth about the running is that. . . One day, I looked out my window and I saw you out on your run. I thought, 'damn, that's a hot girl' and that's why I started running. Not because I actually liked it— in fact, I'm not a fan of running at all," Jesenia confesses to me.

"Wow," is all I tell her. 

 I'm trying to slowly piece all of it together in my head, and I don't even know how best to react. 

"Don't be mad at me! I didn't want to admit it because I felt like you would be angry with me."

"Look, babe, I'm not mad. It doesn't matter to me because there's other stuff we can do together."

 And that's the truth.

 I think. 

"Thank you!" she says. "I thought you would be mad."

"Babe, it's fine. Let's just find something else to do."

"Well, do you want to play my instrument with me?" She asks me, adding a wink.

 I recall that strange meeting we had at her house, and I don't remember it as fondly as she does. I don't think I can handle another session like, if I'm being honest. 

"Sorry, but I'm not a fan of playing. You made way too many dirty jokes the first time I played with you!" I tell her.

 I suppose we're both admitting a lot today. 

"But—"

"Something else. A sport?"

"I don't really like sports unless, of course, it's archery which I love."

"Let's play archery then!" I exclaim, eager to do something outside of my usual scenery for once.

"You're sure? It's just that I'm a pro at that, and I don't think you've ever played."

 She's right, but I'm not going to immediately admit that. 

"I can learn," I tell her, trying to defend myself.

"Ok," she says. "I know a good place that I used to go to. Don't worry, they have the kid levels for you!"

"Ha ha ha," I remark, rolling my eyes. "I'll probably be better than you!"

She lightly hums, laughing at me as she lays a kiss on my cheek. The butterflies still make their appearance, and I smile at the feeling. She grabs her own phone, and starts typing away, grinning when she's finally done. 

"There's an opening today. At the archery place."

"Let's go?" I suggest, more so asking though..

"We should."

"Don't we need a bunch of stuff?"

"Don't worry! I've got everything we'll need. You just need to show up with me."

And so we get ready to leave.

 When we arrive at the building, Jesenia exclaims, "We're here!"

 She parks into a tight space, and waves around excitedly as if it's Disney World. I've never been to this side of town, which is the place where the archery location and other wild game stations create a home. The arcade is across the street, and a cheap club is down the road. 

 We both get out of the car, and walk together, hand in hand, toward the multi-colored building that practically screams, 'sports.'

"Looks okay," I say, noticing the brightly painted blue walls that seems friendly enough when we walk inside.

"And, just so you know, two other people are showing up," she tells me.

 I suspect who the two additional humans could be, but I prefer to keep the options open rather than just jumping to conclusions. 

"Who?"

"You'll see. They should be here soon."

She takes my hand, leading me further into the building, and she signs us both in. When she's done, Jesenia tells me that we have to go to the waiting room until the other two people show up.

 Sure enough, the door opens at that second and two people who I haven't seen in nearly forever come in. 

 Alex and Kara and here, and they're wearing matching sporty outfits as if this is some important competition. And, it's one they're determined to win. 

"Aw! I love you so much, Jesenia," I tell her, and I immediately turn to them, saying, "hey guys! Long time no see!"

After the incident at the restaurant, which now feels like a lifetime ago, I had declined to speak to them. I had wanted to, of course, but the memory would come chasing behind me whenever I tried to.

 It's nice of Jesenia to do this for me though, and I can quickly put that to rest. I wrap Alex and Kara into strong and separate hugs, enoying the moments with friends.

"Yeah, it's been a long time! I was so excited when Jesenia told us to tag along," Alex says, smiling at us.

 He looks the same like always, but he seems much more aware of what's around him. The event at the restauraunt may have impacted him more than I thought it would. 

"It's been forever since we last saw each other! Just so you know, at the restaurant, we left right after you two, and Alex even threw the glass of water at the manager. I can't believe the audacity of some people!" Kara tells us, rolling her eyes at the thought of the rude employees that had hurt us.

"That manager was a homophobic bitch," Jesenia declares.

"Never going again!" Alex adds.

"Let's get started!" I decide to say.

 I prefer not to spend more time discussing it, especially when the memories of it had already occupied the empty spaces in my mind for so many sleepless nights. It was unbearable, and I can't return to it.

 So, we quietly follow Jesenia into the main room, and meet the instructor. He's a man in his 40's who seems to deeply enjoy archery, and he even makes it seem as if his life depends on it with his attitude and moods. 

That's how a lot of men are about sports. 

They can never just like sports. Instead, they have to turn it into their entire life and make it their complete personality. 

 Right now, I don't mind that because it only makes him more effective at teaching us the rules of the game, and providing us with the history of the art. 

 For the rest of the day, we all spend the day together. Practing and missing shots adds to our fun time, and shockingly, I end up being decent at the fresh new sport. That's also surprising to Jesenia who seems to pride herself as being the greatest player on Earth. 

 It's a rare and precious feeling to know that I can step back from life, and I'm more than capable of spending a few good hours with the people I call my friends.