eleven; ❝a small push❞

Adelina's outfit

 Jesenia's outfit (minus hat and book)

 After receiving some texts from Kara about a possible meet-up on Friday, I had reluctantly accepted the offer, and I had decided that I needed to put in some effort

After receiving some texts from Kara about a possible meet-up on Friday, I had reluctantly accepted the offer, and I had decided that I needed to put in some effort. She didn't necessarily classify it as a double date, but I know that I'll be left out as the third wheel.

Somehow, I find myself with the sudden energy to fix my appearance for our interesting meeting today. So, I change into ankle-length black denim jeans with a flowing cream-colored blouse, and a denim jacket to be placed over it. I curl my hair a bit, and since I'm too lazy to put on a large amount of makeup, I only apply a light amount. I slip on my nude colored flats, and I head downstairs with my black shoulder bag in hand, where my mom will likely be waiting.

"Adelina, food is ready!" My mom yells from another room.

I head into the kitchen, and instantly, my mom stares questioningly at my appearance.

"Going somewhere? Since when do you have friends?" She teases.

"I've always had friends," I argue. "I made a new friend, and she invited me to go to dinner later with her and her boyfriend."

"Their names are..?"

"Kara and Alex."

"Ah, Alex. So I see you two are on good terms now?"

I hadn't really updated her on the events that took place when I encountered Jesenia and ran into Alex after she gave me advice, so her confusion makes sense.

"Yes, and now I'm friends with his girlfriend," I awkwardly say.

Saying it aloud only makes me realize even more how much of a third wheel I'll be.

"You won't find yourself being a third wheel with them?" She asks, practically stating the obvious.

"Kara had asked me and my girlfriend to go with them for a double date. I told her that my date was busy tonight but I could still go."

I've found that I've become extremely skilled at lying, and I'm not sure if that's for better or worse.

"Why don't you ask Jesenia?"

"She still hasn't talked to me, mom," I tell her.

"It's been two weeks."

"I know it's been two weeks mom, don't remind me."

"Do you think she'll come around?"

She keeps asking all of these questions, and I don't have any good answers.

"I hope she will," I admit.

"Let's have some breakfast," she says, choosing to change the subject.

For once, she's able to take the hint that this is not something that I want to talk about.

I hesitantly say, "sure."

I help her bring the food to our wooden table, and we eat together. I take small bites, not wanting to dive right in as my mind is running through thousands of scenarios for how this date will go.

My anxiety has always been troubling, but it feels as if ever since my disastrous show of protection against Jesenia that ended with us breaking up had happened, I'm only getting worse.

I stay at home until I can leave, and I grab my black shoulder bag as I'm about to go. I give my mom a hug, and she gives me a knowing smile for a reason that I do not know.

I hear a few knocks on the front door and I tell my mom, "I'll go open the door."

She nods her head excitedly, and I go to the front entrance to slowly open the door as I question who it could be.

I open the door, and I find an excited Jesenia with a large bouquet of roses.

Right there, I feel a thousand thoughts spinning around my mind, but this time they're not a bunch of insecurities. It's a thousand beliefs characterized by surprise, shock, love, and gratitude toward Jesenia being here.

"Jesenia..."

"I'm here," she says. "I think it would be a good time to begin our relationship again."

I look over her, and smile since this is all I've been waiting for. She's wearing an ankle-length striped dress with an oversized sky blue denim jacket, and white vans on. She has a brown shoulder bag with her, and a huge grin present on her face. Her hair is waved out, and she has a coat of striking red lipstick on.

"You're here?"

"Your mom suggested," she simply says.

"My mom..?"

Of course she would.

"Yeah, she told me about this event, and well, I came to my senses."

I don't know how they got into contact with each other, but I know that my mom can always find a way.

"For once I'm going to say, 'thanks mom' then," I say, adding a small laugh to the statement.

My mom has always been there for me, but this was truly unexpected. I feel like at times, I've taken her for granted. I mean, I feel like everyone takes their mom for granted, but I promise to do better. When I turn around to see if my mom is still next to us, I realize that she's already gone and has given us some privacy.

My pleasant thank you and hug will have to wait for after then.

"I'm glad she called me. I had been really nervous to call you but she gave me a small push."

She starts blushing, and I admire her being unprepared today. She's always been confident, sometimes overly confident, but she doesn't seem that way today. I'm surprised to see that she's nervous, but I guess that worries can plague anyone's thoughts. It's just that sometimes, those thoughts will affect some people more than others.

We share a sweet smile, and I find myself dramatically falling in love even more.