laxdo | 0.10

I quickly pulled up the hood of my cloak and secured my veil in place before giving Zen a curt nod.

"Alright," he announced, getting everyone's attention. "Let's head out."

~~~

"Are we there yet?"

"No," Zen said firmly.

"What about now?" I asked, purposely trying to annoy him.

"No."

"...Now?"

"No."

"...How about now?"

"Vela!" Zen yelled, turning around to face me. Much to my amusement, a small tic mark had appeared on his forehead.

"What? We've been traveling for a long time," I said defensively. "And I'm cold." I admitted under my breath. I honestly didn't expect it to be so cold up here.

"Well I did tell you to dress warm, didn't I?" Zen asked smugly as he whipped his head forward, away from me. Smug little son of a bi-

"I suppose it's so cold here because we're close to the mountains," Shirayuki commented, interrupting my thoughts. She and Mitsuhide were only a few feet behind us.

"Yes, we are very far from sunny Clarines," Kiki said, joining the conversation. Mitsuhide nodded in agreement.

"Very far," I added through gritted teeth as I attempted to control my shivering.

"I do apologize that we can't take you all the way," Mitsuhide said, looking down at Shirayuki with an apologetic smile. "I can't believe they're sending you all the way to Laxdo. It seems that being a court herbalist is a lot of work."

"Yes. I'm grateful for it, though." A smile lit Shirayuki's features. "Apprentices don't usually get to travel for their work."

"Speaking of which, we told Lord Haruka you passed," Kiki said with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I believe he said congratulations, right?"

Mitsuhide laughed. "Yes, but the sarcasm did not go unnoticed."

"He's funny isn't he? It's impossible for him to hide what he's thinking," She said closing her eyes.

"I'm sure he finds it absolutely hilarious," I said sarcastically. Mitsuhide chuckled in agreement.

"Zen," Shirayuki called, getting his attention. "What's the hurry? Is something the matter?"

"Well no," he said, turning to face her. "It is just a routine inspection..."

"But we're a little worried since we haven't heard from them in so long," I finished. Shirayuki's mouth formed a small 'o' in understanding.

Before long, we reached the main town of Laxdo. Mitsuhide got of his horse and proceeded to help Shirayuki down as well. "Well this is where I leave you," she said cheerfully, swinging her small bag in her hands.

"Are you sure you will be alright in this cold?" Zen asked, before she ran off.

"Yeah, don't wander too far or anything. You don't want to get stuck in this weather," I added.

She nodded. "Okay!"

"See you later," Zen yelled with a wave as we rode off.