The Uber Driver

My morning was easy. I got dressed, grabbed my bags and walked out the door. My Uber driver moved the moment I buckled my belt. The car departed my house 5:22 am. Work was in the city, and the drive can be weary. Weary for weak travelers like myself. I'd always ask if I can drink my coffee in the car. If they said yes my inner child would break loose. If no then I'd sit in silence and bear myself not to fall asleep.

The drive can be long. If unaware of this fact, my Uber driver pulled into a petrol station. He said he'd be a second. I waited in the backseat and sipped my mind-buzzing nutrients. I couldn't complain, a few minutes to work can't be bad. The reason I traveled to work with Uber was that my boyfriend got into a car accident on his way home from a party. I've used Uber a few times now and I've enjoyed the service. I continued to sit in the backseat and my eyes watched the clock on the dashboard.

The man said a few minutes. Ten minutes had passed. I wouldn't know if this was normal. Were Uber drivers allowed to attend their personal lives while on the job? From my seat, I couldn't see a lot through the windows. I saw a teenager, he looked around his store with his chin held high; we even locked eyes once or twice. I looked away-and-I swear I heard a loud crackle like a burst of popcorn in a microwave. The time chocked me and finally, the man returned to the driver seat. The engine started and we exited the station.

"Could we please go straight to work?" I asked. I sat directly behind his seat. The driver's thick glove grabbed the rear-view mirror and twisted it until I could see tinted sunglasses and a mustache. I whisper a thank-you and I leaned back into my seat.

I remember the first question he asked. I sensed maybe under those glasses, he couldn't keep his eyes off me. I'd feel vulnerable to look every so often, only to forget that he might actually be looking at the road. Do people normally sit in the front seat? I found the ride to be relaxing in the backseat as I hate conversations before I've properly woken up. The man's question came to a shock when I heard it.

"Have you got anybody at home?"

From a quick glance, I spotted his lips drop. Only his lips moved. I sipped my coffee and thought of a reply, "Yes. My boyfriend."

"Oh, you have a boyfriend?"

Eyebrows leaped up from behind the glasses. The driver didn't move, just the lips again. I took the opportunity to look out the window while I replied a 'yeah' under my breath. Overall I begged to end the conversation. I really do hate interacting with people before I've properly woken up. Or maybe it wasn't that. Outside my window, a glowing light moved from around a corner. Another petrol station.

"I'm going to be a few seconds."

"Wait!" I called but the door shut.

The coffee cup sat empty over my lap. I watched outside the window wide-eyed like an owl. Unbelievable. How unfortunate would it be if my boss cut back my hours because I was late? I threatened in my head I'd give the Uber driver a 1-star review. Unbelievable, I repeated only this time out loud. The time was awfully close to 6:00 am. I started work in 10 – 15 minutes and the thirst to get moving grew stronger.

I wanted to take a look at the front seat. I leaned forward. I looked around and saw a pair of gloves buried in the back of his seat. There was a wallet beside the gearstick and some scrunched up tissue paper. There was also a license on the front dashboard. The Uber driver was inside the store and so I grabbed the license and checked his photo. A lifeless picture of a man.

Inside the store was my Uber driver. The man on the photo must've stared at the camera like a wild man entering a city. Rectangle-squinted eyes with thick hazel eyebrows. I didn't notice the tattoo, either. Over his nose he had, I think, a spider web. I read his details but I can only remember – Dale Henderson? I threw it back on the dashboard as I saw the cashier begin to serve the Uber driver.