Maybe these town folks are in on it, too

Hampton stood up from the ground and he skipped forward onto his left ankle. I watched him fall down to his elbows and before he could shout a word I was already by his side. Hampton's thick hazel eyebrows flared as his motionless eyes subdued over my shoulder.

"Hampton, let's move!"

I see Hampton's eyes aim down to his ankle as he swings his arm over my shoulder. "I think it's broken,"

We're a little lost amongst the trees when Hampton stoped to say, "Go on without me. The - something's - this ankle can't go far, Dayna,"

"I'm not leaving you here," I said in a whispered. "We need to get help. Listen I'm sure there's a town nearby."

Hampton's head flicked towards the direction of my estranged bony finger. I stood tall like a meerkat while he hung loose from his broad shoulder. "We won't make it in time. Must be a kilometre, max,"

"Hampton, we can make it if we moved!" Finally the tone in my voice grew in a storm of words, nearly growling like an animal.

"I'm trying to help you." I swore his head shook as he added, "Maybe I'm more concerned about you, right. Because this ankle is slowing you down."

"Wait - I think – I hear cars," My mind scattered around the woods in search for a sign. Any sign or signal that could indicate a direction, out of these woods, back home. The quiet atmosphere left my ears with the ruffling of trees, itchy crickets and maybe a few birds, too. Muddled behind the woodlands I hear a soft hum almost like an angelic presence. The slight hum nearly had me fooled for until Hampton calmed his jagged voice.

"Aye - you might be right." His eyes continue to measure the sound. Maybe it's another 900 meters, or if we're lucky 500. The answer was obvious, it's too soon to tell.

I begin to walk at a pace I believed comfortable for Hampton. "An art student, huh. Managed to out run an athlete?"

I pace myself after I'd accidentally giggled. Actually I ran away like a frightened mouse. My voice echoed. While to my surprise it ended in a rush. My voice scurried for the arms of silence like a mother cradling her child. "I didn't think you'd be such a baby," Hampton's lips hung loose from his red nose like a store sign. His smile faded and I saw his attention shift towards a sensitive limp.

We had a dark, heavy walk. Maybe longer than needed. We carried on between pointy hedges and hidden obstacles. Hampton peaked over his shoulder. His heavy breathing rocked like a loose boat and his tall posture stooped after each step. There wasn't much noise in the background. Just a fuzzy silence. We soon crossed paths with a nearby river.

The river rumbled before our boots. "I'll help you across," Hampton's chin leaned like my Father would when he sat on his chair to read the morning paper. Hampton's glum smile then stretched between his red cheekbones.

"Are you okay? You don't look so good,"

"Yeah, just that river looks heavy. I think I remember there being a bridge around here. Maybe we should -"

"We haven't got long." I tugged at his arm. "Come on, Hampton,"

I was sure to hold him close. I guided him into the water. At first we took care not to slip while Hampton worked hard not to tug gainst my shoulder. I'm sure he did his best. His mind was like an engine and I heard his voice feeding in loops, 'Don't slow her down."

My breathing picked up pace. The icy cold water reached over our ankles and in a few meters we're knees deep. "Stay close,"

"I don't know if this." Hampton's voice dialled down in tone as if controlled by another influence.