"The man I was working for, the kids dad..." he starts, gesturing behind her, "...he was arrested last night for several counts of..." he hesitates, "...murder" he finishes in a whisper. When Lauren doesn't reply, he continues.

"I didn't want to do what he asked me, trust me I really didn't, but he'd already had my brother...killed and I didn't want the same happening to me"

"So you out Camila's life in danger because you didn't want to end up six feet under?" Lauren asks, unsure on how to feel about the words that had just left the mans lips. In a way, she gets why he did what he did, but that was definitely no reason to target a young girl who had already been through hell.

Clearing her head, she brings her attention back to him.

Matthew gulps, "it sounds cowardly, I know, but I'm really sorry. I'm not asking for forgiveness, I just...wanted you both to know that you guys have nothing to worry about anymore. I'll leave you alone, I have to reason to stick around" he speaks, rubbing the back of his neck anxiously.

Lauren sighs heavily, "I appreciate your apology, and you're right, what you did was cowardly." She says whilst running a hand through her hair, "You're a grown man and targeting a sixteen year old girl is sick, whether or not you wanted to do it. Trust me, I understand your intentions to not end up like your brother, but you should have called the cops instead of going through with what that psycho told you to do." She explains, locking her phone and placing it into a back pocket before crossing her arms against her chest.

"I was going to, but my life was already on the line and he would for sure have me dead if I told" The man replies as he takes a step back, "look, I'll get out of your hair now. Again, I'm really sorry. Tell the kid I'm sorry too" he mumbles.

Not knowing what else to say, Lauren simply nods her head and watches as Matthew wonders back to his car that was parked opposite.

After making sure he was gone, she returns back inside the apartment and once again locks the door, taking a breath of relief she didn't know she was holding. Before she could think too much into it, a small trembling body crashes into her chest.

"Sshh baby, you're okay, everything's okay" she soothes quietly as she scoops the youngster up into her arms, bringing an arm underneath her butt to support her, "thank you for being a big girl and listening to mama. I know it was scary but you did such a good job" she praises as she walks to the couch and sits down, manoeuvring Camila so she was sat across her lap.

Camila sniffles into her mama's neck and nods her head, her hands coming up to tightly grip the woman's shirt.

Knowing she couldn't hide the news about her dad from the girl, Lauren speaks, "look baby, mama needs to tell you something important" she murmurs as she presses a kiss to the side of the small girls head, gently easing her away from her body.

A teary eyed Camila looks up at her with curiously, her bottom lip still quivering.

"Baby, your dads...been arrested" Lauren whispers softly as she brings her hand up to brush some baby hairs behind her ear, "I know this may be a lot to take in right now, but you deserved to know, mama didn't want to hide it from you" she adds, leaning in to press a soft kiss to her forehead.

Camila squirms nervously on her lap, "no hurt anymore?" She asks in a terrified whisper, not quite believing the fact her dad was actually getting what he deserved.

Sure, the big side of her was jumping for joy at the news, but the little side of her...wasn't really so sure how to feel. She'd had to through years of a abuse from him, years and years of terrifying abuse that had scarred her both physically and mentally, and that was the very reason she'd created this little mindset, to escape. Now that he was no longer out to get her, did that mean she had to stop being little?

Lauren shakes her head, "no baby, he won't be able to hurt you anymore." She starts, "and I know what you're thinking angel. Just because he's gone doesn't mean you have to stop being my baby." She reassures.

Camila looks at her wide eyed. Was mama some sort of mind reader?

Lauren chuckles at her reaction, "mama's clever baby. Now, how are you feeling about all this? Do you wanna have some quiet time-"

Before she could continue, Camila interrupts her by crashing into her chest, "jus' wanna be wif you mama" The youngster whispers, feeling content.

She was finally safe.

"Alright baby" Lauren whispers, "I love you" she adds almost silently as she holds the youngster close to her.

Camila grins, "Love mama too"

**

I'm thinking of bringing this book to end after a few more chapters, but no need to worry, I have another book ready to be published!

Next chapter: 230 votes

Thank you all for reading!!