Chapter 4

"(Y/N), this is Natasha, this is Cap, that's Bruce and that is Clint." Tony did the introduction. He was rocking on the balls of his feet, practically giddy. He was already helping you get your mind off of everything that had happened back home.

"Enchanté." Clint brought your hand up to his lips. The bandage on your wrist peeking out from under your sleeve caught his eye. He hesitated for a moment before warily touching the back of your hand to his lips and dropping it curtly.

The eye contact full of questions had lasted for a second, yet it was enough to make you uncomfortable. Pulling your hand away and tugging on the sleeves of your turtleneck, you tried to change the subject. "It's nice to finally meet you all. I have heard a lot about you."

"Only good things, I hope." Steve shook your hand. "It's Tony we're talking about." You laughed, taking everyone in the room with you.

"Ha, ha, very funny." Tony hushed everyone down and wrapped an arm around you, steering you toward the door. "I didn't let you come over so you could make fun of me with the rest of them. I'll show you to your room where you can retire for the night."

-

Consumed in a deep, dreamless sleep, you turned in your bed. It was better this way. Having dreams would inevitably lead to nightmares, featuring Dean if the recent events were taken into account.

Then, there it was. Someone grabbed your wrist and would not let go. You tugged and pulled but the firm hold did not weaken. Darkness was everywhere; you could see nothing, feel nothing, except for the demonic grip on your wrist. 'Dean?'

You awoke with a scream. "For the love of Thor, (Y/N), quiet down! They're going to think I'm murdering you in here." Tony hugged you abruptly, to calm you down and give you a sense of security, yes, but mostly to stifle your screams so that the team wouldn't rush into the guest room with their gear ready.

Once you saw who the person was, you felt a wave of relief wash over you. "It's you, thank God. What are you doing here anyway?" You pushed yourself away from Tony's chest.

"My question first. What is this?" He shoved your wrist in your face, "You cut now?" His concerns were justifiable. The almost healed scar on your wrist held resemblance to a self harm scar. Tony was looking at you with a stern look, which was breaking apart to reveal his distress, waiting for an answer.

You pulled your hand away and slid it under the comforter. "No, I just...I cut myself while I was arranging some folders. They had sharp edges." You avoided Tony's gaze, tugging a stray piece of hair behind your ear.

"Uh-huh." Tony tested you, "And what's that?" He motioned to the cut on your neck with his eyes. "Oh, that?" You were running out of excuses. "It was a choker, those plastic ones. Kept bugging me all day and left a mark by the end of it."

"(Y/N)," Tony sat down on the bed, wriggling until he was comfortable, "I'm going to ask you a question and I need you to answer it as honestly as possible. Think you can do that for me?" You nodded uncertainly. "Is the word 'stupid' written all over my face?" He asked.

You grimaced. "No, Tony, I just-"

"This is a safe space." Tony took your hands in his, rubbing gentle circles on the back of your palm. "You can tell me anything, you know that right?"

"I do." You sighed.

"Then tell me, (Y/N), what is it? Is it an abusive boyfriend? Because I will blow that sucker right up." Tony would blow that sucker right up, not only for hurting you but dating you in the first place.

A knot was forming in your stomach. "Can't you just let it go?" You asked, knowing full well that Tony wasn't the type to let go. He confirmed your suspicions. "How long have you known me? When have I ever let anything go?"

Tony was still holding your hands, you squeezed them a little for courage. "Fine." You acceded. "Dean has been having some issues lately. He sometimes loses control of himself. That is what happened and he and I....we got into a uh, a scene wherein he aggressively poked me with a blade."

"I believe the technical term is stab." Tony crossed his arms over his chest, obviously fuming. "My door is open anytime. You are welcome to stay, I hope you know that."

"I know that, Tony. And thank you." You unfolded his arms and pressed his palms to your face, "But it's fine. Dean will be back to normal in no time and so will I. I just needed to get away for a while, that's all."

The touch relaxed Tony. However, he did not let it show. He got off the bed and trudged to the door but stopped short, as if been suddenly reminded of something. "Breakfast's ready. The team is waiting."