XXV

It was raining.

She sat in the corner waiting for him. School was over. She anxiously fumbled with her fingers. Kept inhaling and exhaling. Would he still come?

What if he doesn't come? He's mad at her. He must be. She hurt him. Why did she overthink it. Why did she distance herself?

She dug her fingers in her hair. Guilt made her feel dizzy. The thoughts made her head hurt.

She tightened her grip.

"I'm an idiot." She mumbled shakily. Who will get it? Why she's acting like this. Why she's overthinking something simple. Why she never thought...through it. What is she afraid of. The heaviness of her chest made her body feel numb.

She froze.

She gazed up when she heard panting. He stood in front of her, without an umbrella. Hair drenched. Uniform wet. Immediately she stood up to cover him. She grabbed his sleeve and pulled him to the side.

They stood like that for a bit. Silent. Calm.

She stared at him. Straight into his eyes. How long has it been? She saw how weary he looked. Has she been selfish all this time? Thinking about her feelings, while forgetting his?

She breathed in. Then grabbed his hand. She won't overthink it. She won't be afraid. She likes him. She won't overthink it, anymore.

She tightened her hold. She likes him.

She made him sit. Then took off her coat and draped it over him. He stared at her in confusion. She crouched down. The proximity made her feel flustered. They stared at each other. Examined every glint.

She was going to tell him, she was going to confess. She was going to explain everything.

"I-" she began, but stopped when he moved closer. Pulled her until their foreheads touched. She dropped the umbrella from her hand, as her body stiffened.

Her shoulders shrank back a bit. Her heart moved quickly.

"...like you."