Chapter 1

Thomas took one last drag from his menthol and looked in to the sky. The cooling sensation overwhelmed him and sent blood rushing to his cheeks. He enjoyed the thought of his lungs blackening and his teeth rotting. He enjoyed pondering the topic of his fate, he felt there was nothing for him to look forward to in his mediocre life. But he did feel a pinch of pity at times, when the cigarette burned the tips of his fingers and out of reflex he dropped the cigarette, or when he took a drag he couldn't handle and it sent a series of strained blood-curdling coughs. It reassured him that maybe -- just maybe-- something might be in store for him and this was God's way of telling him. Disgusted with himself, Thomas let out a thick gust of smoke and outed his cigarette. He deeply sighed and watched his breath transfer to vapor in the cold Febuary's air. 

        Amid his journey to school, Thomas decided it would be best not to go. He realized he hadn't done any of the three projects due for his government, biology, and english classes and cutting all three classes would simply cause unnecessary conflict. Thus, Thomas made his way to Dennis' Diner instead; his second home. Dennis was a middle-aged man of about 40 with a thick copper-colored beard and a laugh that could trigger an earthquake. He was a fun loving guy that just about the most callous person could find interest in. Dennis and Thomas were considerably best friends, despite the age gap. At 17 years of age, Thomas certainly had  a way of relating to adult or "real-world" problems, and this is just what hit it off between the two. Dennis liked to play the fatherly role toward Thomas, as he had no children of his own and Thomas' father had long since abandoned him. 

        Thomas entered the diner that was already boisterous at 8 AM and reeked of alcohol. The diner gave Thomas a feeling of comfort and serenity despite its exuberant and controversial atmosphere. To him it was the best place on earth. Thomas took a seat at the bar at banged on the counter to signal Dennis. 

        "Thomas! Shouldn't you be in school?" asked Dennis although he was pleased to see Thomas at such a time. "The first bell rang ten minutes ago." 

        "I'm not going." replied Thomas placing his hood over is head. 

        Dennis took Thomas' reply indifferently. It wasn't the first time Thomas had done this.

       Dennis sighed and began, "Thomas, as much as you hate when I say this, I'm going to say it once more for your own sake and future; you can't keep running away from school."

        Thomas sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. "I didn't go for a reason this time."

        "And what is that reason?"

      "I didn't do a few projects that were due today ---and I know you're going to say that isn't a good enough reason to miss school. But trust me Dennis, it would've been a complete waste of time to skip classes."

        Dennis set down the cup he was drying, placed his hands on the counter, and slowly shook his head. At this point, Dennis concluded that as Thomas' age increased, the difficulty of this fatherly role he had taken up also increased. As of lately, Dennis had simply run out of resolutions or answers for Thomas' acting out in school and overall diminution of his life. It all began with declining grades and drug-dealing. In the course of a single year, Thomas had managed to gain a criminal record and expulsion from his previous school. Thomas gave no thought towards his future, but Dennis did. 

        Taking all this into consideration Dennis began, "This act is getting real old, real fast. I won't be around forever to save your sorry ass from trouble. I'm going to keep it short and simple; go to school."

        "I just told you---" 

        "GO!" Dennis shouted pointing towards the door. It was the first time, in a very long time, Dennis had raised his voice at anyone. The diner grew quiet and all eyes were on the pair. 

        Thomas shot up and stormed out of the diner. He still wasn't going to go to school. 

        Thomas shoved his hands deep into his pocket in attempt to conceal his long bone-like fingers from the blistering cold. The temperature had certainly dropped since he left the diner. Shivering dangerously, Thomas made his way to Beasley Park, the park brought back both good and bad memories. It was in this same park where Thomas had done his first dealings, and where he had first been arrested as a result. Thomas smiled and shook his head at the memory. What he wouldn't give to back in time and  actually change his dealing tactics. It was a lost cause anyway since he withdrew from the dealing industry. He'd rather 'just do'  the drugs than sell them. He could care less of their effects on his developing body. If Thomas loved anything, it would be narcotics.

        Thomas made his way down the largest path in the park, Hinton Way. It was also his favorite because he never made it to the end and each time he attempted to, he'd be distracted by someone or something. On a Febuary's day such as today's, Hinton Way was coated in shimmering white snow that reminded Thomas of freshly imported cocaine, straight from Colombia. Enjoying and considering the resemblance, Thomas threw his head back and nostalgically inhaled the prickly cold air. It burned his sensitive nose, but he didn't care. He liked the burning sensation. Thomas' eyes rolled in their sockets and a wave of pleasure transcended his bodily mass. Oh how he wished to be strung out, almost unconscious on a park bench, watching his fellow civilians live out their simple lives hoping to someday become a substantial part in society or die rich. 

        Beasley Park was empty for the most part, not to mention Hinton Way. It was 8:45 AM. Most people were either at work or school; but not Thomas. He insisted on not attending, and Thomas was a man of his word. At an amble pace, Thomas made his way down Hinton Way, hoping to come across some curious creature. The snow had overtaken Hinton Way, as the path had not yet been plowed. It was a beautiful sight. Benches marginalized the path, and in the far distance, Thomas swore he saw someone or something

        Twenty minutes had passed, and Thomas was still walking the path. He had disregarded the figure in the distance, but it did send pangs of curiosity throughout him. From where he was standing, about 15 feet away, the figure seemed to be an female, an elderly lady he thought, enjoying the winter scenery that Beasley Park had to offer. It was certainly a sight, the bare trees and the tiny rabbits leaping in the ankle-deep snow, Thomas secretly enjoyed it too.

        As Thomas grew closer, the figure swiftly raised off of the bench. Thomas stopped dead in his track as his heart took a great leap at the supernatural occurrence. Thomas squinted his eyes in attempt to get a better view of what was going on. Suddenly, the female, clad in an oversized royal blue cloak clearly made of wool, was standing before him, face to face. Taken aghast, Thomas stumbled backward and onto the floor. The woman had moved inhumanely fast and Thomas had seen nothing like this before. Frightened, Thomas looked up at her and was stunned to find that the woman was remarkably beautiful. She was made up of long flowing white hair with silver undertones, an alabaster skintone that resembled that of a phantom, a heartshaped face in which soft plump pink colored lips and rosy cheeks lay, a set of large azure eyes heavily made up with kohl eyeliner, and thick yet perfectly mainted silver eyebrows. She was freakily attractive, and ironically Thomas didn't like it one bit.

Thomas' pupils dilated and he broke out into a cold-sweat. He was unsure whether this were a dream, or painstakingly, reality. 

As if things couldn't become anymore nerve-racking, the woman spoke.