Part 17

Part 17

It had already been weeks since the incident, and still there was no sign of progress. While Lexi's body healed up perfectly -what's with all the pampering she received ever since she was discharged -her heart had not even started to heal the slightest bit.

She didn't understand why. She wanted desperately to know why, but no one could give her an answer. She just didn’t know why Dante couldn't accept her, even though it was so obvious that he cared for her. She had caught him giving her worried glances whenever he was around. He had already approached her with careful questions about her state of health.

Yet, he refused to talk about anything more than that. Even through the many moments that they shared alone now that filming for the show had gone into full swing, he refused to be the charming man that Lexi first found. It was almost as if he was a different person entirely. It was as if he was truly only Dante Giacomo. No more a Casanova; but just another Dante Giacomo on the street.

"We are in no position to make you give up your dream, Lexi, but it would be for the best if you know. I am officially pulling out of the competition." Dante said politely -in his normal business-brisk tone -as he walked into the room where she was dressed up and ready to go for Round 8 of the competition.

"What?" She exclaimed, jumping to her feet. She could afford the scene here in Dante's palazzo, but the same couldn't be said if they were in Parthenon Studios back in the States. "Why?"

His face was apologetically polite, and Lexi found herself viewing that expression with disgust. How could a man once so charming be so... disconnected to his outer charms and looks, and be so estranged from his previous personality?

"The Council has agreed with me. Exposing to the human world now would do no good if we are looking for war with the Russians and Ukrainians. I am aware of my fans out there, and we don't want the war in the vampire world to affect the innocents." Dante explained, and while it made sense, Lexi's heart dropped. The competition was the only special thing linking the two of them together... and now Dante was about to severe even this last strand of connection? She knew she was selfish to want Dante to stay, but she could not help feeling the hurt and disappointment.

"I understand." She said, bowing her head down in hopes that he could not see the glittering of tears forming quickly around her eyes. They had already made it to Top 6, and now, Dante was backing out. She had looked forward to be singing with him on the same stage, the make a song come alive with their voices.

Now it would never happen.

Dante moved to stand before her, and a hand squeezed her shoulder gently as if to give her strength.

"Don't be afraid. We will all still be cheering for you. You will definitely win first place." He comforted, having mistaken her crestfallen expression as one of fear of being alone. "I will still be escorting you to the Studios, and we'll still have you amongst us. Nothing much will change. We will still be here for you."

Lexi refused to look up, knowing that her makeup was quickly getting ruined by the tears. She cursed him internally for choosing such a bad time to reveal the news. How could he possibly think that she was just afraid? How could he, as a womanizer, not know what she wanted from him?

"Ok." She replied softly, and Dante gave her one last gentle squeeze for support before she felt him step back.

"I'll give you some time to patch yourself up, but don't take too long, alright? Don't want you to be eliminated just because you're late." Dante commented -as if he was totally oblivious to her hurt and internal torment -and closed the door behind him, shutting Lexi back to the solitude of the empty room.