Part 10

Part 10

Lexi stared into murderous eyes that came along with the grin of pure evilness. She could feel every inch of her tensing up in terror and anticipation. Her legs were tense like a coil, waiting to spring out and run off bounding away from the room.

Alvron was still sleeping soundly like a pig. She couldn’t believe how the man could still be so calm when her heart was fluttering like a hummingbird, and it didn’t seem to be able to stop. She was afraid that her heart would come flying out of her mouth like a hummingbird too, but she kept that disturbing analogy in the back of her mind as she studied the man.

She wanted to make a sound, but she didn’t dare to. She wanted to wake Alvron up, to have someone awake and knowing that there was an intruder in the house. She wasn’t sure how this man had gotten in, but it definitely wasn’t through the window. She had woken up to get a cup of water when she saw Alvron’s door close. Since his lights weren’t turned on, she wondered what he was doing up awake in the middle of the night in a dark apartment. She’d followed into the bedroom, and she thanked the million gods above that she thought to do that, because it looked like, for a second there, that the man was going to murder her best friend.

Not on her watch.

She inched ever so slightly to the side, knowing that there had to be some sort of weapon that she could find lying around in Alvron’s room. She remembered her best friend having a baseball bat hidden behind the chest of drawers standing just beside the door.

The only light that was offered came from the moonlight, but the man’s pale skin perpetually seemed to reflect every inch of light shone upon him. Moonlight bounced off his gleaming white teeth, and she realized –with a jolt –that his teeth were actually sharp canines.

Her quest to the baseball bat was lost when his teeth elongated. Right before her, it slowly lengthened till they were fangs. Sharp, impressive fangs slid down and hung from his upper gums. His smile, if possible, grew wider as he watched her reaction of extreme shock.

Lexi covered her mouth, stumbling backwards until she hit the doorframe. She could still run. She could still run to the kitchen to grab a knife for self-defense. But that would leave Alvron exposed to this… this… this vampire.  She tried hard to understand that the man standing before him was a vampire, considering how his fangs were all naturally growing. She tried hard to comprehend that a creature of the night was standing before her in Alvron’s bedroom.

She tried hard to pursue the fact that this man was obviously here to kill Alvron, and she’d walked in the middle of that process.

Lexi wasn’t sure if she should be terribly relieved or frightened at that thought.

Something cold and sharp hit her head, and while she was struck with sudden dizziness, she did her best to pretend as if nothing had happened. She stood her ground and tried to scare the vampire back by showing that she was unafraid, no matter how useless she knew it was.

Dear girl, go back to your bedroom and sleep. You have not seen a thing.

The voice in her head was faintly Russian, and while she was sure it was the voice of this man, she wasn’t sure how it had gotten into her head. Had he whispered?

She bit her bottom lip, her eyes darting to the sleeping Alvron. She was going to risk it. Alvron was a better ally awake than asleep. She could be potentially putting them in a lot of trouble, but she didn’t want to do this alone. She needed Alvron’s help.

She lunged for the baseball bat just by her side, and raised it above her head, screaming the loudest she could as she brought it swinging heavily down.