The hidden wound

Henry sighed,heading home.

"Why is he so stubborn?It's for our good,for everyone's good!We could end this. But we can't like this. I hope he'll understand..."

Soon Michael reached the others in the hospital.

"Good evening"

"Hey Mike" Gabriel smiled slightly,hesitant.

"Everything's alright?" Susie asked.

"Yeah. How are you,Jer?" He avoided the question.

"I-I already feel better,I can go back and help again!"

"Like that?I don't think so. Don't feel forced to help,take your time to rest and relax,alright?" Michael sighed.

"But Mike!-" He whined.

"Jeremy,he's right. Rest,we can take care of Dave." Gabriel said.

Susie smiled sadly and smooched the boy's head,causing this one to blush. "We're going to be okay!"

"Mhm..." He still faced away,hesitant.

"It's getting late... Listen Susie,me and Gabe can go to the pizzeria and take your place for a night. You can stay here with Jeremy,alright?" Michael smiled softly.

"A-are you sure?"

"Of course!He needs you."

"...Okay then. Be careful." The girl sighed,smiling as the two stood.

"We will." The boy chuckled and headed to the door with Gabriel "See ya tomorrow morning!" He smiled.

"Here we are." Mike sighed as they entered the office. It was almost midnight.

Gabriel sat and threw his jacket on the desk,stretching and peeking towards Mike.

"I wanted to ask you lately,but are you okay?You seem down."

"Hm? Oh,of course! I've just had...some lacks of sleep." He turned his head to Gabe,trying to force a slight smile.

"I don't think you're just tired,are you?"

"Hey,since when you're a caring teddy bear?" Michael snickered,teasing and just avoiding the question again.

The other didn't smile at all.

"Mike,I'm worried for your health. Did you expect me to forget you fainted in the hospital?"

He kept silent.

"You're forcing yourself too much. It looks like you want to do everything by yourself; Don't you trust us?"

"Of course I trust you. It's just that-" He interrupted himself,pressing his tempers as if a huge headache just arrived. "...Look. The sooner this ends,the better it is. I can't allow you guys to get hurt for my bullshit anymore."

"We chose to-"

"Gabriel,you keep on insisting this was your choice,but what will I do when you're all GONE?!" Michael suddenly shouted.

The room was filled with silence.

"...Is this how you think we're gonna end up? DEAD,probably stuffed in some dirty suits?"

"I just know what he's capable of." Mike said hesitantly.

"Now we know too. So?" Gabriel furrowed his eyebrows.

"...So nothing. I was just worried and stressed, alright?"

"Your hands were shaking."

"What?"

"When you were holding the gun. Your hands were shaking."

"Must have been your imagination."

Gabriel frowned once again.

"...Okay,okay! I was scared. No shit,Sherlock! I had to face a serial killer! I was tense."

"Was it really because of that?"

Mike bit his lips,obviously insecure.

"That's what I thought."

"Say,what's with that sassy Spanish tone tonight?What did I even do to you?"

"I'm pissed because even tho you said you'd help us,you're not letting US help YOU!"

"I'm trying to protect you."

"That's what you keep telling yourself,but you know better than anyone else here that he's coming for YOU. You are the one we have to keep safe!"

Michael didn't answer.

"... I'm sorry." Gabe sighed.

"About what?"

"For leaving. After the bite. We left you alone,but all of us should have been responsible and get our punishment as a team,together. Instead,we ran away,leaving you alone to face your father and-...j-just the thought of what he did to you makes me shiver. But back then we were dickheads! This time I promise,I won't leave. If you need a shoulder to cry on,you can-"

"Stop."

"Huh?"

"You aren't one for words. You've probably been talking with Susie and made up all of this. "

"What?That's not true,I meant it!"

"Well,GABE. Perhaps,if you weren't always joking around when I really needed a shoulder to cry on,by now everything would be FINE! But no! Because of not just Him,but you,'FRIENDS',I couldn't have asked for a worst life!"

"...Are you...joking?A-are you planning to push us away again?There's no need to fake anymore,you know that?-"

"I'm not joking,Gabriel!" The boy shouted,on the point to cry. He continued. "Do you know how many things i've been keeping inside? The pain of seeing my old friends,who until a few days ago didn't even recognize me,leaving and forgetting about everything as if nothing happened? When I went missing in that damn Circus no one gave a shit,my father left and people didn't even know about my existence anymore! And then,when you found out I was the 'so feared' Michael Afton,you didn't even let me explain and CALLED THE POLICE. And now,for YOUR fault,I risk not just to go to prison and probably go to some death penalty way,but also to never. Save. THEM. All of this because of you,Susie and Jeremy! If you just let me do my job,by now none of this would have happened! For you it was all fun and games until someone risked their life,hm? Everyone would be fine! But now that is just a FAR REALITY. So yeah,congratulations! You did just great!"

Gabriel stared at him with his mouth falling open,looking at the tears falling on Mike's cheeks as he panted and shivered.

"I-... I'm sorry. I had no idea you felt that way."

"Took you a few years to realize,huh?"He sniffed,facing away and looking at the clock.

"Mike,come here..." Gabriel sighed sadly,trying to hug him.

"Don't. Just-...don't." Michael refused,snapping away from his touch. "I hoped this could be just another shift. T-the only positive thing is that he didn't come. Lucky us,I guess." The bell rang. He turned around,ready to leave without even thinking about waiting for him.

"W-wait,where are you going?"

"To a calm place,I don't like it when I'm nervous. Yelling makes me look like him. Leave,do something but avoid following me. You should go to your dad since,at least,yours loves you. See ya." He pouted coldly,then walked away.

"What's with him?" Gabriel whispered to himself. "At the hospital he was all calm and smiling,and now he just...leaves like this? Hopefully he'll calm down." He sighed,looking down to the watch. "...I should probably talk about this with Jeremy and Susie." He grabbed his jacket,going to his car and heading to the hospital.