Chapter 1: The Book with No Name

Alina 's P.O.V

"Hey, let go of me!" I laughed as Simon held fast of me and tickled my sensitive spots.

"Nup! Not until you give me the packet of lollies you hid under your bed somewhere!" He bargained, smiling.

"Never!"

"Alright then, all the more fun for me!"

I ran away from him screaming my head off.

"I'm gonna getcha!" He yelled playfully.

The two of us had been the best of friends since we were born. I ran into my bedroom that was decorated with, well, posters of books, authors and movies. Yep, that's just the way I was. Yes, I was normal, I just wasn't particularly interested in those popular boy bands that some girls drooled over. I don't need some random singers telling me I'm beautiful because I know I'm not.

"Al, you coming to the library with me?" I heard Simon ask from behind my door."Don't worry I'm not going to tickle you anymore because your mum just gave me a whole packet of Pascal Swirls."

"Which one?" I asked. "Library I mean."

"The Maybelle Library."

"What? I've been there a million times! I've literally read every book they have." And if you haven't already guessed it, I'm a nerd, just thought I'd point that out to you. "Not going, it's going to be boring."

"But they've just finished renovating! And I heard that they got some new books!" He begged. "Come on, you're going aren't you? Yes you're going. Ok let's go!"

I laughed at his self talking but squealed in surprise when he threw open my bedroom door, charged at me like a raging bull, picked me up like I was a rag doll and slung me over his shoulder.

"Dude, let me down, or I'm going to hammer you like a nail." I threatened halfheartedly, partly because of the blood rushing that was to my brain and partly because I knew that I was going to get ignored anyway.

"Sorry what was that miss? I didn't catch that." He mocked in his English accent.

"Meanie."

"Sorry was that, an insult? Pathetic!"

When we reached his Ford Fiesta he dropped me lightly to the ground and made his way around to the driver's seat. He turned on the radio and Que Sera by the Justice Crew started playing. The both of us loved this song so we both decided to shut up.

Simon pulled to a halt outside the historical building of the Maybelle Library, I heard his car door slam but stayed inside the car.

"Hey you coming or not?" He asked as he opened my door.

"Yeah..." With that I stepped onto the familiar pavement and made my way to the large oak doors of Maybelle Library.

As I pushed open the doors of Maybelle Library the familiar smell of books hit me, everything looked basically the same to me but as I walked around I saw that there was a new shelf full of new books. I squealed and ran to it. I skimmed the titles of the new books and my eyes landed on a nameless book. I picked it up and flicked through it.

The first page was a picture of what seemed like a noble family having fun in their estate backyard. The lady who I assumed was the mother wore a silky, cream-white gown that touched the clean shaven estate lawn. A man, the father wore a suit and tie with matching black breeches. The children, three of them, 2 older girls around the age of 14 were wearing coffee-creamish coloured dresses, a red petticoat over them and shiny black buckle up school shoes and their little brother about 8, who wore a black dress shirt with navy blue breeches were playing tag together, their porcelain like faces glowing with happiness. I smiled and thought back to the days when Simon and I played together in the park.

"Al? Where are you, you- oh there you are!" Simon said.

"This is a library" I hissed, "use your inside voice."

"Oh please." He scoffed.

"Anyways check this book out. It's-"

"Wow, wow, wow, wait a minute, hold your horses Al, I don't check out books, I check out girls."...."Ow!...what the hell was that for?!"

"Seriously, listen to me, look at this," I showed Simon all the empty pages in the book. "It's absolutely empty, except for that picture on the first page," I whisper yelled. "Strange right?"

"Mhmm mmhm," he shrugged his shoulders, "Beats me."

I slapped him on the shoulder and flipped the book over to see that the library hadn't added a barcode on it, which meant that this book wasn't in the dewy system. Which meant that anybody could steal it. With the book still in my hand I walked over to the counter to tell them.

"Hello Charlotte, this new book doesn't have a barcode on it." I told the librarian. (I have been to the Maybelle Library so many times that I call all the librarians by the first names.)

"Oh really? Let me just check that." She took the book. "Oh yes, Marriana did tell me about this book, you know what, you can keep it. We don't want it." She said and handed it back to me.

"Wait... Really?! I can keep it?!" I asked surprised, clutching the book to my chest.

Charlotte smiled and nodded. "Sure can!" She took out the card machine entered the item that she gave me and it's name and told me to scan my library card.

"Thank you soo much!" I squealed, jumping up and down.