Chapter 20: A Garden Snail

Alina's P.O.V

The constant harsh sound of beeping pounded in my ears and I struggled to keep my eyes closed, to keep myself encased in this peaceful darkness. Then I heard a voice. 

A very familiar one. 

My own voice.

Come on child wake up! Everybody's worried about you. Give them a sign that you're okay.

I tried to groan but was only met with the soreness and dryness of my throat and it burned. I coughed and that hurt even more. There was shuffling next to me and I felt a warm hand press against my own frozen ones. Soft hair brushed against my cheeks, tickling me. I felt myself smile. But yet I still couldn't seem to peel open my eyelids. There were glued together like freaking wooden planks!

Ice cold glass pressed against my lips and a cool liquid teased the tip of my lips. I opened my mouth and drank thirstily, taking in a deep breath when I had downed the whole glass.

"Thank you." I whispered before I felt myself fading back into the serenity of sleepy darkness.

The next time I was conscious someone was pressing a wet towel to my forehead and it felt strangely calming. Coldness cooled my forehead and I sighed in relief. The hand froze and I felt cold fingers brush against my forehead.

"Come on Aline, wake up. We're all waiting for you. I'm waiting for you."

I lifted my arm up and searched for a face, anything to touch that belonged to the voice. A large calloused hand grasped mine and guided it to touch a face. 

I let out a breath. The skin was smooth and soft but as I moved my hand lower I could feel the coarseness of stubble. 

"Hmmm.." I smiled.

I heard a chuckle. "Now what are you smiling about Aline?"

I smiled again, squeezing my eyes shut. "Thank you." I whispered.

I tried to pry my eyes open. "Um...help? I can't seem to get my eyes to open?"

There was a bark of laughter before I felt light touches on my upper and lower eyelids pulling them lightly apart. A sliver of light found its way toward my eyes and I opened them, furiously blinking, blinded by the light. I sighed.

I looked around and found myself propped up with a pillow on a hospital bed, surrounded by white walls. Layton was asleep on a chair near the door and Logan- Well Logan looked breath-takingly tired and beautiful at the same time.

I saw his smile. 

God have I missed that smile. 

"How are you little miss queen?"

I looked down to my hands. "Umm....good....How long have I been out?"

"You, milady have been unconscious for about 3 weeks maybe 4. I don't know."

"Helpful as always." I drawled sarcastically.

"You almost gave me a heart-attack!" Logan suddenly burst out. "I was so worried about you!"

He dropped down onto a chair that was next to my bed and buried his face in his hands, breathing heavily. "I was so worried.." I heard him sob quietly to himself. 

I cocked my head onto one side before stretching my legs out from under the blankets and placing them onto the cold floor before padding over to him.

I cupped his face in one hand, lifting his chin up so he could see me. 

"Well. I'm fine now right?" I whispered.

"Yeah." Logan croaked before he leant his head against my legs hugging them from behind. "I missed you." He breathed.