COT: Chapter 4

Sier was leaving and Kaiya couldn't be more excited. He had stayed an extra week and had been nothing but a pest. His presence had also made her dad act like his mind had taken a vacation and decided to never come back.

There was extended training, extra sessions for her, and many other aggravating activities that had her head spinning.

She actually looked forward to her dad going back to his moody self. At least he would leave her alone.

She also hoped to start training with Lucas. It was the one thing that there was just never enough time for.

"Sam," said Sier, shaking his hand. "I'll be back in three months to see what kind of progress has been made. I hope you'll let me know if anything changes."

He offered his most charming smile. "Of course. I'm hopeful that things will work out. Have a safe journey back home."

Sier's confident demeanor faltered when his eyes landed on the horse. It was already pawing at the ground nervously.

"Hopefully it's safe."

"It shouldn't be so bad since we won't be there," said Thomas. "I think they're more afraid of us than the magic."

"Yes. I remember you saying that." Sier wiped his forehead with the back of his hand.

Kaiya stood back, offering a small wave as her parting gesture. She didn't want to hear what nonsense he had to spew. Two weeks of his recommendations and she prayed she never had to see him again.

The Keepers weren't as ceremonious when they opened the door to the sanctuary. Everyone, including them, had been subjected to Sier's ideas and they had about enough. Most of the elders didn't even bother with their decorative robes.

"Amazing," mumbled Lucas.

"They're usually more... enthusiastic about it."

He raised a brow. "And this time?"

"I think everyone is just excited to see Sier go. My dad might be the only one who will miss him."

Lucas smiled. She found the gesture disarming. According to Coral, it wasn't something he typically did. When he did show his teeth it made him look years younger and a lot more approachable.

"I would agree with everyone," he said.

"I'm shocked. I genuinely thought you liked him."

He moved closer to her and lowered his head. "Not even a little bit. He reminds me of a weasel."

Kaiya snorted with laughter. "That's a good way to describe him."

"It's rude to laugh when the commander is leaving," snapped Coral.

Kaiya hadn't seen her approach them. It was rare that Lucas was able to get away from her for more than a few minutes. She typically didn't let him get too far out of her sight. It was tolerable at first. Now she found the girl just plain annoying.

"I don't care what the commander thinks," Kaiya barked back.

"Coral," warned Lucas.

She grumbled under her breath and took a step back.

Lucas cleared his throat. "Do you think we can train today? I'd like to test out your skills against someone who isn't an elf."

"Coral?" she asked, a hint of excitement in her voice.

"Me," he answered.

She chewed her bottom lip. Coral deserved a punch to the face. Lucas definitely did not. She was afraid that the broken rib she gave Jed was the same thing that would happen to him.