Chapter 18 - Finale

The tension in the room was palpable. Terry had left some minutes ago and Benji and I still haven't recovered from her confession. The iron chains around my wrists were cutting into me and my frustration grew.

"I locked Aurora in a room," I finally admitted, "I thought I was going to be right back."

There was no response.

"What if they find her? God, what if they don't find her?" Tears pour down my face as I consider all the possible outcomes of my actions.

"They won't hurt her," he whispered, "but you're right, we need to get out of here."

"In which universe can we possibly get out of here?" I sneered at him, immediately regretting it as soon as Benji flinched.

"Nataline, be reasonable," he countered soothingly.

"I'm sorry, Benji," I mumbled, but continued stronger, "but how do you think we can get out of here?"

"I keep thinking back to Jeremy and his monologue," he said thoughtfully, his eyes seemed to stare past me, "He said it "cuts off" our powers. We are weak in here, but in theory, the lead should only stop us from going past the lead or communication through it. Inside we should be able to still use our powers."

"I tried, it doesn't work."

"Try harder!" he screamed. I jumped with fright, I have never heard Benji so angry before.

Instead of responding I close my eyes and try harder. I try my best to push past the block I felt around my mind. My fingers tingle, but there's nothing.

"Come on, Nats," Benji encouraged, "Think about Aurora, think about what Josh did to you."

I closed my eyes again, my fists clenching in concentration. The tingle spread over my palms, but only for a second before retreating.

"You're not trying hard enough," he said softly.

"Why don't you try!" I screamed, anger coursing through my body, my palms tingled and coral shot out of my palms, wrapping around the iron chains. I opened my eyes in shock, tears of relief burning down my cheek. I closed my eyes and imagined the chains crumbling to the floor, and it did. The coral squeezed it just like it had squeezed the shipwreck hours before, and the iron crumbled under the pressure.

Free, I rub my hands over my wrists only to find that there are no cuts or even marks. Turning my attention towards Benji, my heart dropped into my shoes. He was slumped over on the floor, his eyes closed.

"Benji?" I call, running to his cell, coral flying out and bending the iron open. Kneeling beside him, I turn him onto his back and patted his cheek. He stirred but didn't open his eyes.

"Benji?" I called desperately, he stirred again, pain clear in his expression, his hand moving to hold his abdomen. I moved his hand off the spot, my breathing stopped as I take in the blood over his hand, as well as the spot on his torso. Lifting up his shirt, I found the bullet wound and bit my bottom lip. This is how they caught him, I thought, anger and fear surging through my veins.

Instinctively I put my hand over the wound, warmth pulsing out of my palm. When I removed my palm, a scrunched up bullet seemed to pop out of his skin and the wound closed without a scar.

"Nats?" Benji whispered, sitting up slowly, his hand touching his abdomen in confusion.

"There's no time to explain," I said getting up and pulling him up with me, "Let's get Aurora and get out."

We walked to the door and to our surprise it opened, the arrogant moron didn't even think to lock the door behind her. We walked straight to the room I kept Aurora and I opened the door.

"Mommy!" she shouted, running to me, jumping into my arms. I hugged her close to me and willed her to sleep, she needn't see the next part.

"Benji, do your thing," I instructed, covering Aurora's mouth with my jacket, he nodded closing his eyes.

A dull thud filled the ship as everyone in it fell down to the floor. We ran to the top of the rig, stepping over the fallen guards. The helicopter was gone but like we shared our thoughts, we turned to the lifeboats at the side of the vessel. By the time we reached the ocean, Jeremy and Josh were leaning over the railings and pointing guns in our direction.

I gently covered Aurora's face and gave her to Benji to hold, before turning towards the rig and opening my arms. The coral flew onto the rig, engulfing every inch before it started to crumble under the pressure.

"Nataline, there are innocent people in there," Benji whispered, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"There are also not so innocent people in there," I responded squeezing. Terrified screams filled my ears. Fear radiated off the rig, so powerful, it was almost visible.

"Are you the hero or the villain, Nats?" he whispered, turning me around to face him. His green eyes bore into my soul. My arms come down. The screaming stops. It was too late. The rig was in a ball, sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

"Ocean," I whispered.

Yeah, babe.

"Get us out of here, please," I asked, the current quickened, and within minutes we reached the shore. I sat on the beach looking at the ocean. Benji, still holding Aurora, sat beside me and put his arm around me. I cuddled into him and sighed.

"What are you thinking?" He asked softly, brushing the hair out of Aurora's face.

"That my job has barely begun."

"What job?"

"Protecting the ocean," I answered. He nodded his head slowly.

"How can I help?"

***THE END***