Chapter 4

"Come on, Nats," the male voice said, interrupting my thoughts as I stared out into the ocean, "it's been years now."

I look over to Josh, twisting my wedding ring around on my finger. He's right. It has been 5 years since the incident.

The Incident was the worlds biggest Tsunami. It killed millions. It destroyed cities. Irreparably. Irrevocably. Thousands had to start over.

The Incident, that's what the news is calling it- God, it's laughable. It was a disaster. A tragedy.

Recalling the images, the destruction, the death. Recalling the knife that was driven into my body when Josh told me about Benji's death. Recalling the hole in my life I've had since that day.

Yes, life moved on.

Yes, I fell in love again.

Yes, I have a beautiful 2-year-old daughter.

But no, I can't forgive the ocean.

No, I can't go out on it again.

No, I can't trust it.

There is no way.

I dig my feet into the sand and cross my arms in defiance.

"Stop being so stubborn," Josh laughed as he pulled me over the sand.

My heart clenched in fear. But, I held onto Josh's hand and seemed to draw strength from him as I stepped towards the waves.

"Come, Mummy," I looked down to the little curly haired angel holding her father's hand, seeing the fascination in her eyes.

The ocean has caught her in its spell, just like it had caught me when I was her age.

We're on holiday. Can I deny her the wonder? Can I deny her the experience?

I forced myself into the ocean.

Fear gripping my heart.

This ocean took so much from me in one day.

I stood still.

This ocean made me fear doing what I love.

I stood frozen.

Waiting...

Waiting for it to finish what it started 5 years ago.

Waiting for it to pull me in.

Waiting for it to drown me again.

But, it didn't.

Laughter broke through my thoughts and my eyes drifted to my husband and our daughter splashing each other with water.

They were having fun.

In the murderous ocean.

They were having fun.

They glowed with laughter and spontaneity.

"Come, Mummy," Aurora called giggling in her father's arms. I tried. I wanted so badly to please her little heart. But, my feet wouldn't move.

"Leave her," Josh said gently, worry etched on his face as he looked at me, he picked Aurora up and walked over to me.

I let him lead me to the shore.

Then I let him lead me to the car.

I heard him reassure Aurora that I'm going to be okay, but I could not find it in me to move.

Later I let him lead me to our bedroom.

And when he pulled me into his arms, I let the tears fall.

Tears that took 5 years to finally come wrenched out of my soul, through my body.

Josh didn't say a word, bless his soul, he just held me. And for that I was grateful.

It wasn't until the birds chirped and the morning light seeped through the window, that I realized I fell asleep crying. Poor Josh fell asleep holding a mad-woman.

***AUTHORS NOTE***

Please remember to VOTE and/or COMMENT.

Thank you!