Chapter 7: New Neighbors

Start from the beginning

      "You remember tackling me, Mom?"

      "Vaguely. I told you to call me Mia. Calling me Mom or o-ka-san makes me feel old."

      "Okay, Mia."

       "You know that girl?" asked Mia.

      "What girl?" I replied while sautéing the garlic and onions.

      "The girl named Luna. Lisa introduced me to her."

      "I don't know her." I added the cooked ground beef now.

      "Lisa said you reacted like you saw an exhibitionist"

      "It doesn't concern you." I always talk coldly whenever I want the topic off.

      "Well if you want to know her better, I've already invited her and her brother over to dinner."

      "Why would you do that?!" I was screaming internally now. I nearly spilled the broth when I was about to add it.

      "Why not? They just moved so it's just good hospitality. Lisa was the one who came up with the idea."

      "Then I suppose I should cook faster."

      "That was a quick surrender." she said.

      "Like you said, it is good hospitality and I can't argue if it's both of you against me." I was actually thinking to use this chance to know of her relevance to me. I added the spaghetti sauce and the herbs to the mixture. Lisa got down and turned on the large computer screen we use as the TV and went to her favorite online anime streaming site. She was wearing different clothes now and had her laptop with her.

      "They'll probably be here in about thirty minutes. Do you need any help with that?"

      "No, you should just fix your appearance. You look like an average drunkard."

      "Then I'll be upstairs. Call me when they're here." She got up, stretched, and walked up the stairs. Lisa continued watching an episode of Fairy Tail, ironically about mages. It must be the new episode released. I'll just watch it later tonight.

      I drained the pasta and mixed it with the sauce. I put it in a large bowl and garnished it with chopped celery and cheese. I took some cold garlic bread from the fridge and put it in the microwave oven. Jill was placing small plates on the table now. I took 5 forks and placed them on the table. The garlic bread was done now. I put the bowl of spaghetti on the table and Jill was having trouble getting the garlic bread out of the microwave. I approached her and put on some mitts.

      "I already got this." Jill doesn't like it when someone interferes with her.

      "You'll burn yourself before you take it out. Just make some iced tea, I'll handle this."

      Jill reluctantly agreed and went away. I took the garlic bread out and placed them neatly on a plate. I placed it on the table and thought to myself, it's been a long time since I had to arrange the table like this. Jill was finished with the iced tea now too. I went up the stairs to change my clothes when I noticed a folder. It might be Mia's, I thought. I picked it up and a paper sticking out had the logo of CERN. This wasn't unusual since their company had ties to CERN. But I was still interested, so I went to my room and locked it. I put the folder on my bed and changed to more appropriate clothes. The t-shirt I wore had a picture of the Kremlin on it, one of the souvenirs my mother brought. I took pictures of the CERN files with my camera since I had to give this to my mother or she'll be mad at me. I didn't bother to read them yet.