Chapter 4: New World International

Same Day – New World International University

      I’ve been living in the Philippines since before Yggdrasil happened and I could tell that it used to be hotter here before. Since Yggdrasil, the Philippines had become a colder country and neighboring countries have been experiencing unusual climate. One theory is that due to the existence of Yggdrasil, the ozone layer regenerated back to how it was first formed.But this is the first time it was this cold. Meteorologists say that it will get even colder in the passing years.

       As I was approaching the gate, there was a hostile outside the University.

      "Don't let yourselves be fooled!" shouted an old man that looked clearly mistreated by the passing time. "Don't study the works of the devil." 

      As I entered into the gate, two guards emerged while another guard let me in. "Hey, Mr. Blake. Good morning." the guard said.

      I then turned my head toward the commotion.

     The guards then approached the old man and tried to calmly resolve it. "Hey, old man." one of the guards said. "I don't care about your reason for this, but it's our job to protect the peace here. We'd appreciate it if you left quietly."

      "Only God has the power, you blasphemers, heretics!" the old man shouted.

      I faced the guard again and said "I don't think an old, insane, and angry Catholic at the start of the day signifies 'good' though."

      "Well, I guess so." said the guard.

      "Keep up the good work," I looked at his I.D. for his name and quickly added "Mike."

      As I left, the guards was still trying to persuade the old man.

      Since January 20XX A.D., the Yggdrasil event, NGME’s started to emerge from the general populace ranging from children to the middle-aged. Later it was discovered that people who were more spiritually healthy had the highest chance of gaining abilities. And the reason why the elderly rarely have powers were because of the calcification of their pineal gland, which was also discovered to be able to absorb ether/aether particles from the air, which is released by the Yggdrasil Tree.  Because the Philippines is the closest country to Yggdrasil Island, it became an important international country. The Filipino culture was moved to the more rural areas, and most of the people in the urban areas are either from influential families across the world or NGME students. The curriculum taught has been changed all over the world due to Yggdrasil’s appearance. The New World International University is the first school in the Philippines to have been converted, hence the school’s name.

      There is a parking lot just inside the school gate for students who have bikes. I parked in my slot, number 49. Removed my folding helmet and tucked it in the compartment.

      “Ren!” shouted a person in front of me. She was wearing a light blue blazer, a cream-colored skirt and long socks. Right next to her was a guy about the same age. He was wearing a light yellow polo and cream pants, Anne Clyde and Allen Clyde, seems like they just recently parked their own bikes. We’re in the same course, so I usually group with them.

      “Hey, Allen, Anne” I said as I approach them. They both have light brown hair, and completely look identical. Anne is 5’5” while Allen is 5’7”. So as always they’re too photogenic, that one of them can be confused for the other if they cross-dress.