Chapter 3. S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters

It was quite a long way on the ride. Luckily, years of training enabled her to fold her wings in a way that it wouldn't hurt when she's sitting. She didn't realize how tired she was until she started to feel sleepy 30 seconds after she sat on the cushion of the van.

Loki was sitting beside her, with a metal gear attached to his mouth. She stared at him with curiosity. So this is what the world's number one villain looked like up close. His black hair was very messy and his face was full of grazes and cuts.

Not very impressive.

Although, she was fascinated by his mysterious green eyes, which were looking back into her eyes as though he's saying "What?"

She moved her gaze to the Avengers team. They were sitting across her, watching her closely. She rolled her eyes up, gesturing inappreciation on how they had treated her. She leaned back, watching the van's ceiling, when the car's swaying motion slowly lulled her to sleep.

She woke up some time later, realizing the van had stopped. She yawned but to her surprise, she found that she was leaning on Loki's shoulder all along. In surprise, she looked up to see his face, which was staring down at her with no expression. She was flustered, immediately straightened her back, and saw that the Avengers were all standing in front of her. She couldn't help but think that they watched her while she was sleeping.

"Come on, we've arrived." Captain America helped her up, opening the van's door for her. Thor grabbed Loki in his hand and forced him to stand up roughly. The others followed behind them.

The girl took glances at Loki, who was still staring at her, and couldn't shake the thought of how comfortable his shoulder actually was.

They went into a large, round grey building. A woman with short hair welcomed them and said that Director Fury was waiting for them at the Operations Control room. There was a huge symbol of an eagle at the center of the lobby.

"That symbol.." she whispered to herself.

"Yes, that's S.H.I.E.L.D," Steve responded.

They went to what she speculated to be the Operations Control room. It looked like wreck. Everything was destroyed, by she did not know what.

"Nick," the team gathered around a tall man with an eye patch on his left eye.

"It's great to see you all in good condition," he smiled, glaring at Loki, and then his eye was on her.

"Who is this?"

"She helped us terminate the Chitauri. With yellow beams from her sword." Stark stressed every word in the last sentence. Nick Fury raised an eyebrow.

"First, put Loki in a cell, please. Grab a chair for this young miss." Some staff escorted Thor, still dragging Loki, out of the room. One man put a chair behind her, and Nick gestured her to sit. The Avengers gathered around, watching the interrogation.

"Are you an Inhuman?"

"I am not familiar on how you name and categorize people like me," she answered, "but if you mean experimented people, yes."

"Who experimented on you?"

"Hydra."

A tense silence filled the room.

"Are you Hydra?" asked Fury.

"No."

"Oh, come on. No spies would admit it, right?" Stark snapped.

"Don't be foolish. Hydra has been destroyed many years ago." said Steve, but his expression was full of concern.

"Do you honestly believe that? Then why do I see that frown on your face? I bet they're still operating somewhere below the ground, making evil plans.."

"Miss, I'm afraid you'd have to tell us your whole story," Fury looked into her eyes deeply, trying to look for some evidence that she might be a spy.

She took a deep breath.