Chapter XXXIV; The World's End

Finding DiZ and Mickey was easier than Yuki thought it should have been. Riku seemed to know where they were going. And she let him lead. Her head was throbbing, the pain increasing as they went farther and farther up the castle. There was a strange sound in the air, almost like a scream. But Yuki seemed to be the only one who could hear it. At least no one else was stumbling as they ran.

"Your Majesty!" Sora yelled, much too loudly. Mickey and DiZ both turned to look at them. DiZ looked sadly at the group.

"Sora, the rest is up to you," DiZ said. "And Roxas-- I doubt you can hear me-- but, I am sorry." He turned away again, holding tightly to the machine that was creating the beam they had noticed earlier.

"Ansem!" Mickey said, reaching out towards his old friend.

"My heart is telling me what I must do. Please allow me to do what it says!" DiZ said, not bothering to look at Mickey.

"No!" Mickey said. Yuki flinched back from the noise as Riku grabbed onto Mickey's arm. "Riku!"

"His hearts decided. We can't change that," Riku said simply. He looked at DiZ calmly. Yuki wasn't sure what everyone was waiting for, but she knew it wasn't good. Y rocked on her feet nervously, X beside her, watching her carefully.

The sound of a dark corridor opening made Yuki lookup. Floating above them was Xemnas. He looked down on them coldly, his eyes finding DiZ and narrowing as a smirk formed across his face.

"I was wondering who would dare interfere with my Kingdom Hearts. And look-- here you all are. How convenient for me. Ansem the Wise. You look pathetic," Xemnas said.

"Have your laugh. I deserve as much for failing to see you for the fool you are," DiZ said, glaring up at Xemnas. Hate was radiating off of him, Yuki didn't even have to try to see it. 

"Students do take after their teachers. Only a fool would be your apprentice. After all, none of this would have happened without you. You are the source of all Heartless. It was your research that inspired me to go further than you ever dared," Xemnas said. X and Y both exchanged a look. Yuki wasn't sure why though. Was there something they knew?

"I admit, my disregard brought chaos to more worlds than one," DiZ said looking back down and away from Xemnas. "But what were you seeking? You erased me from the world, only to take my name and continue research better left forgotten. Is this the answer you've been looking for?" DiZ looked back at Xemnas, waiting for an answer.

"All that and more," Xemnas answered. "I'm carrying on what you yourself began, and I'm creating a brand new world, one heart at a time. I thought you'd praise me, but all you ever do is hold me back. I understand, though. Unlike me, you have a heart. And you're powerless to control it. Consumed, by jealousy you feel toward the student who surpassed you."

At this point, Yuki was certain Xemnas was just rambling. The screaming sound had gotten louder and she could hardly hear anything else over it. Whatever Xemnas was talking about, recreating a world. It was nonsense. What he had right now, it wouldn't work.

"Xehanort. Foolish apprentice of a foolish man. You have surpassed nothing-- only proved how little we both know. We may profess to know the heart, but its essence is beyond our reach. We're both ignorant--as oblivious as when we began. I'm afraid that any world you try to create -Any world of yours - would be an empire of ignorance. That is why you and your creation are destined to fall!" DiZ said. Electricity surged through the device he was holding onto. He turned away from Xemnas, who seemed to make his exit. "We've said enough! Riku, you know what to do! King Mickey, my friend, forgive me! Farewell!"

The device then exploded. Yuki cringed back as the sound reached. Y started forward but was pulled back by X quickly. The entire group was pushed back from the force of the explosion, falling to the ground. It took a moment for them to get to their feet again. When they did the sky was filled with falling hearts from the moon. The screaming had stopped now. replaced instead with a soft cry.