Chapter Nine

Patterns in Our Skies

☆ ☆ ☆

☆ ☆ ☆

Kiara, while looking for Scorpius, sees Albus the moment he walks into the Great Hall. She wonders if it's unusual for him to come to breakfast late like this. The boy looks as though he's just woken up: His hair is tousled and sticks up in several places, his shirt is not tucked in, and the laces to his boots flop around with each step he takes—like four small garden snakes trying desperately to keep up with him. But even from here, she can see his bright eyes.

When he gets close enough, Kiara looks away as though she hasn't noticed him yet. He reaches the table and immediately grabs a glass of water, draining it.

"That was mine," Lily complains, but Albus rests his big hand on top of her small face. Kiara watches him grab for Rose's glass next, but she smacks his arm. He cradles it to his chest as if he's been terribly injured and twists his face into mock sobbing.

So dorky, Kiara thinks to herself with the trace of a smile.

When he finally sits down, she sees his dark green eyes flick up to her's—suddenly very serious—then quickly away.

"You can have my orange juice," Hugo says.

"Thanks, Hugo."

"I miss James," Lily says, lamenting her empty glass. "He's my favorite brother."

"Come off it, Lil'," Albus retorts. "Now you're just trying to hurt my feelings."

Rose pushes her oatmeal back and forth with her spoon. "I love James, but I'm glad he's out of Hogwarts. It was always a pissing contest with you both. You were constantly trying to outdo each other. Really, it was starting to become annoying."

"I resent that," Albus says. "James and I got along very well his last year. Would've been nice if he left me the map and cloak, though. I did try to butter him up towards the end there. . . . I think he saw through it."

"Map and cloak?" Kiara asks.

Hugo brushes toast crumbs from his shirtfront. "The Marauder's Map and Invisibility Cloak. James took them both with him. To keep Albus out of trouble."

"OK, we're not doing this again," Albus says. "Whenever Kiara sits with us, it's like suddenly all you kids want to talk about is me."

"I'm not a kid," Hugo scoffs.

"Albie, talk to me privately after breakfast," Rose says. "There's something I've got to speak with you about."

She turns to ask Hugo if he could help her find someone's cat. There are so many cats at Hogwarts, it's a wonder Kiara isn't always sneezing. She watches as Albus reaches across the table and snags the green apple from Rose's plate when she isn't looking. He takes a large bite, which alerts Rose to what he's done. Just as she's about to yell at him, Kiara feels a tap on her shoulder.