Chapter Fifteen (Part One)

Rae POV

The next morning was bittersweet.

I was excited at the prospect of seeing my parents, but that meant leaving Ash.

I didn't let go of his hand the entire morning, then finally, Bellamy and Nova informed me it was time to take off.

Ash took both my hands in his and gave me one deep, toe-curling, kiss before resting his forehead on mine.

"Nothing bad is going to happen." He whispered to me.

"Are you trying to convince yourself or me?"

"Both," he said, pulling me even closer.

"You know something awful is gonna happen now because you said that!"

He laughed and pulled me in for a hug.

"I love you." He said, with so much emotion in his voice.

"I love you too," I whispered back to him, my voice breaking on the words.

He kissed me on my temple, and I began to walk away towards Bellamy and Nova.

"Wait," I said, turning back around to Ash, "Am I going to become a werewolf now because you 'marked' me?"

He laughed, "No Rae, but you will be stronger and faster. I will be able to sense if you are in danger and you will be able to sense that in me."

"Oh...good!" I said turning back around and sprinting towards the Rogues. I could tell they were impatient and ready to leave.

I didn't dare look back at Ash, knowing that if I did, I would lose my resolve to leave.

Bellamy decided that running would take to much energy while carrying me, so we took a jeep out of the compound's garage and piled in.

"Rae," Bellamy said after I strapped in, "You should know the squadron of Rogues we sent to help your people prepare for the war, never made it. They were attacked by Royal Guards. The good news is the Royals seemed to have canceled the assault on your village for now. We don't know how long that will last, so it is imperative you make your family understand the situation as soon as possible."
I nodded, trying to absorb all the information that was just thrown at me.

"Then we better get driving."

XXXXXX

We drove for what felt like hours and hours. I sat by the window, watching the vast fields and mountains fly by us.

As we neared my home, I felt a knot form in my stomach. The last time I had seen my parents, my family, my friends, was when I was being dragged back to the castle by Ash.

It was unbelievable that I was going back now, given all that has happened.

Only a few months ago I was being trained at killing the creatures I was riding in a car with. I was pretty damn good at it too. I would need all that training now, to face what was coming, the impending storm where humanity would make its last stand.

Would my parents even welcome me back, once they found out I fell in love with the creature I was sworn to hate? Could my friends even bear to look at me?

My dark reflection was interrupted by Nova telling me we were outside the base.

"We can't get in if we just drive through," she explained. "You need to go first so that they know we mean no harm."

"I understand. I'll get them to stand down."

"Remember, we are about to be at war, the sooner we are in, the sooner we can start preparing," Bellamy added.

I nodded, exited the Jeep and started walking towards the guard tower located just outside the base.

"RAE IS THAT YOU?"

Drew, the guard stationed at the tower yelled down to me, alarm in his voice.

"YEAH, IT'S ME DREW. MIND LETTING ME IN?"

He looked at the car I just got out of, worried he might identify them as wolves, I yelled up at him again.

"DREW I SWEAR TO GOD DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE AND OPEN THE FREAKING GATES MYSELF!"

That seemed to work, and he let me in.

Drew and I's yelling attracted a small crowd inside the gates. When I crossed through, I was suddenly attacked with bear hugs from Addie and Brady, Clarissa and Michael were right behind them waiting their turn. It was at that moment I realized just how much I missed my friends.

"How are you here?"

"How did you escape?"

"Are you okay?"

"Did the wolves hurt you?"

Everyone was bombarding me with questions, but when I saw my mom and dad running across the field to see me, I started to run towards them too, and we embraced in a bone-crushing hug.

"Rae, are you okay?" My mother said, holding my face in her hands, trying to see if I'd been hurt.

"I'm okay, I promise. I have so much to tell you." I said, "But it has to be quick."

They sat me down, and everyone gathered around me. I told them what happened after I'd left with Ash. I told them how the King and Queen had gone too far with their mistreatment of humans, how Ash took me away from the palace to protect me, how we were ambushed by rogues who turned out to be nothing like the legends, and how Ash finally decided to take a stand and rebel against his parents.

I did not mention that I was hopelessly involved with said werewolf, that was a long conversation for another time.

"That's a lot to process Rae," my mother said.

"I know, but that's why I am here. I brought two rogues who are going to help us prepare to fight and take our lands back. It's the only way."
I waited for my parent's response, but it was Brady who spoke first.

"I'm right behind you Rae, let's overthrow the monarchy."

One by one, my people stood with nods of agreement, my parent's squeezed my hand, and I let myself believe that we could do this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! Look at that, I posted! 

Sorry for the delay,  life gets in the way sometimes, but I am back at my computer and so excited to post another chapter. 

I am so happy you guys like this book! The amount of reads, votes, and comments I have received has been overwhelming and warms my cold dead heart (just kidding about the "cold dead" thing.) 

I have a quick question for you guys, what celebrities do you see playing these characters? 

I can't wait to hear your responses, and I'll see you guys soon for part 2!

XOXO Shelby Grace