Chapter Nine

A loud crash was heard from outside, along with the sound of a shout. More a cry for help than a shout actually.

Jean's eyes widened and he gently kissed Eren on the head before standing up, unraveling his arms from around the brunette and approaching the window.

Eren looked at him with a confused expression. "Jean, what's happening?" He asked, clenching the bedsheets nervously. Honestly, he did not want to hear what Jean was about to say.

Jean's eyes squinted for a moment, trying to make out what was going on outside. "There a tree... it's fallen on a lodge." He replied worriedly, glancing over to the smaller boy on his bed.

Eren stood up, walking over to the window and looking out of it. "Damn... I hope no one got hurt. Who's dorm is that's anyway? If we are 1D... and that lodge is to the left..."

"Marco and Armin!" Jean yelled, backing away from the see through portal showing them one of their worst nightmares. He turned around, sprinting out the door, not even caring about the weather. "Marco!"

A shocked Eren looked out the window and frowned before chasing after Jean. "No no no no no..." He chanted, wincing as the wind and rain smacked against his skin violently. He hissed and kept going, following Jean to what looked like the ruins of the lodge.

Jean climbed inside, looking around before hearing a cry. His eyes widened, seeing the scene before him. His heart ached in his chest and he felt as if he was going to throw up. He held back his tears and swallowed the lump in his throat, kneeling down.

In front of him lay two boys. One which seemed to be impaled by a large piece of wood in his side. Marco.

Armin on the other hand was kneeling down beside him, tears spilling from his eyes. "It's okay Marco... everything is going to be okay." He whispered, looking down at the floor.

Jean quickly slid across the floor, crawling over to what seemed like a lifeless Marco. Not the happy, cheery boy he always knew. This Marco was miserable. Blood gashed from his side and blood was pouring from his mouth, down his chin.

Eren came in a moment later, his jaw dropping to the floor. A wave of relief came over him that Armin was alright, but soon that faded away as he noticed Marco. "Marco?!" He covered his mouth, shaking his head.

Jean clutched onto the bleeding teen's hand, crying loudly. "Marco please be okay! Promise me you will be okay!?" He knew, deep inside, Marco would not survive this. The teen was losing blood by the second for Christ sake. "Go get help! Eren go g-get help!" He demanded, not taking his eyes off the dying, freckled raven. He felt horrible, he couldn't move Marco. He was trapped under the wood, and Jean was not pulling the tree branch from inside the boy, knowing it'd do worse.

Armin brushed the hair out of Marco's cold face, more tears coming from his bright blue eyes. "Sorry I couldn't save you... I'm sorry!" He trembled.

Marco was still, was silent. He was on his last seconds, his last, short breaths. His eyes flicked from Armin to Jean and an other great pain fell over him. He wasn't strong enough to say goodbye. He didn't even try to squeeze Jean's hand, or even speak. All he could do was lie there, watching his best friend and Armin cry over him. No goodbye...

Jean cried even more when he realized that Marco's eyes started to close. "Stay with us! Marco please! You're my best friend... I can't lose you! I need you Marco!" He screamed, sobbing into his hand.

Eren had left the lodge and was trying to make his way towards the seniors lodge, finding it difficult in the rain. He swayed from side to side, cupping his hands and using them like binoculars to try see the lodge. He felt a strong hand on his shoulder and turn around, seeing three people he really didn't want to see at that moment. Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner.

Reiner and his two friends gathered around Eren, a smirk visible on all of their faces.

"Why you crying Jaeger? Was Jean too rough?"

"You're honestly such a wuss."

"You should of died."

Eren was still trying to balance on his own two feet, the wind practically blowing him away. "L-Leave me alone! This is serious! I... It's Marco!" He screamed over the storm, squeezing his eyes shut so the harsh weather would stop hurting his eyes.

Reiner rolled his eyes, glaring at Eren. "Who cares about that freak?" He yelled laughing, looking at Bertholdt and Annie. He shoved Eren back when he tried to walk past.

"I do! Lots of people do! He's going to die! I know you don't particularly like him but I do! He has a family... he had..." Eren slowly opened his eyes, gritting his teeth. "You are a fucking asshole! Just let me go!"

"Nah, we don't think we will." Annie replied blankly, crossing her arms as she stared at Eren.

"He told you to move, dickheads." A voice from behind them yelled, sounding extremely pissed off.

All four teenagers turned to where the voice was coming from, squinting their eyes to see Levi Ackerman. And he was pissed.

"Shit." Bertholdt muttered, looking from Levi back to Reiner and Annie.

Eren's eyes widened and he sprinted past the three, stopping in front of the senior. "Marco! It's Marc-"

Levi interrupted him. "Yeah Eren we know, Armin told us a while ago."

The brunette's eyebrows furrowed. "But... the tree... only a moment ago he..." He looked at Levi speechless, his face still having tears roll down it. 

"Marco was sadly... hurt, a while before the tree fell. When the weather started to get bad, the back of the lodge mysteriously crashed down. That's what... killed him." Levi answered, sighing deeply.

Eren's eyes widened, taking a step. "B-But how?!" He yelled over the wind, his fists clenching. 

The raven only shook his head, beckoning Eren towards one of the larger lodges. "We've gathered everyone else inside, separating the boys and the girls into two lodges since it's around half and half. It's easier to keep an eye on everyone like that." He explained, leading Eren to one of the larger lodges. "Hanji is in there watching the girls, me and Erwin will be with the guys."

Eren wasn't really listening, instead just staring at the ground. "Are people coming for us?" He blurted out, opening the door to the lodge and stepping inside.

"I've called the police, for now just sit down and worry about yourself." Levi ordered, looking at Eren. "Are you okay?" He asked, looking around for Erwin.

"I guess." Eren mumbled, his darting around before setting on a light brown haired teen, sitting in the corner of the room full of people. It looked like a small gym room, rather just a large classroom. There was no furniture, just people standing/sitting around. He walked over to Jean, kneeling down beside him. He knew better than to say something so he stayed quiet, leaning against Jean gently. He glanced up, watching as Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt walked in. He sighed, staring around the room. He hated the atmosphere, it was full of worry and it made Eren sick. His mind trailed off to Marco, tears forming in his eyes. He was surprised he could even cry anymore. He put his hands over his face, the charming raven coming to his mind. Marco was so kind, he didn't deserve anything even remotely close to this. Now he was gone...

Jean looked at Eren, frowning slightly. He wrapped an arm around Eren, pulling him closer as he stared at the ground blankly. "How do you feel?" He whispered, finally looking up at him

"Sick..." He replied quietly, feeling Jean pull his hands away from his face. He bit his lip, holding back a sob. 'I've cried too much today... I have to be strong.' He thought, rubbing his eyes and sniffling.

Jean sighed and nodded, kissing the side of Eren's temple. "Please tell me this is a dream... tell me it's all a dream and that I'm going to wake up tomorrow in my own bed, knowing Marco is happy and alive. Tell me this isn't true!" He cried, his hands shaking. 

Eren looked at him sadly and wrapped both his arms tightly around Jean. He felt Jean bury his head into the brunettes shoulder and shook his head. He rubbed Jean's back, hearing his sobs get louder.

Most people looked over at the pair and frowned, shooting them sympathetic stares. But neither boy's noticed, they were too busy comforting each other.