Chapter Two

So Athena is finally getting to know my friends, which is super cool for me. Hmm... Maybe I should get to know more of his friends too...

"So, are you coming over today?" He asked. "I just got a FIFA game, so we could try that out."

"Actually, I was hoping we could go to my house. I wanted to talk to you about something and I feel like I'd just be more comfortable at my place."

The small boy nodded a little, smiling. "Alright, whatever dude. Just means that you don't get to play FIFA."

We were walking towards my car and every step felt like a hundred more than it should. The air was warm and breezy, but I felt a chill up my spine still.

His steps were in sync with my own, and his head bobbed to the sides happily as one foot went in front of the other. So much has happened since we met. So much happened over the summer. So much wasn't said.

Julian isn't part of the academic team anymore, but he's still so happy. The only times he isn't like this is when... When he's reminded that he's not getting better.

I opened the driver side door and started the car, the chocolate eyed boy sitting down next to me.

"What did you want to talk about?" Julian asked me.

A small chuckle passed from my throat, every vibration in it boosted tenfold as I thought about this conversation. "I'll tell you later, just be patient."

"I am a patient, you shouldn't expect me to be patient as well." He countered, scoffing at me.

The engine purred silently as I drove, every stop lasting longer than they should, giving me more time to think and talk myself out of this (That really isn't fair, brain). Each turn was a choice to not continue and to just go play FIFA at Julian's house.

Ok, you can do this, Romeo. Buck up and just do it. It's just a conversation with someone half your size. Well... He might be smaller than that to be honest.

"You're muttering." Julian told me. "I haven't seen you do that since you dropped my Mario Brothers disk and were trying to figure out how to tell me. What's up?"

Damn it, he already knows I'm hiding things. What do I say now? Umm... I'm not very good at excuses.

"I'll tell you later."

That seemed to be good enough for him, because Julian shrugged and turned up the radio rather than ask anything more. Score.

The houses here were more familiar than before and that means we're getting close to home. Getting closer to the talk. Getting closer to~

"Gods, your being so serious." Julian sighed loudly. "You're never this serious. It's kind of freaky and I don't like it."

"Oh, I'm sorry good sir, I've had some things on my mind." I said, laughed at him.

"Get them off of your mind then. Listen to some bad pop music until it gets stuck in your head. Do heavy labor. Join fight club and refuse to talk about it." He suggested. "But for the love of Ra, quit being so... Serious."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, sir. Sorry, sir."

We were in the driveway by now and I cut the engine, getting out and waiting for Julian to follow me. When he was by my side, I made my way to the door and opened it for him, walking in after.

"Alright, so what did you want to talk about?" Julian asked me.

I shrugged slightly. "Do you want anything to drink? Coffee? Tea? I think I've got some hot chocolate around."

He grabbed my hand, stopping me from walking away. "Romeo."

I can't look at him. "Yes, Athena?"

"You should tell me."

You should tell him.

The dream came back in full force.

Tell him. Tell him. Tell him.

Please tell him. You should tell him. Tell him. Tell him. Just tell him.

"Ok, I'll tell you... But please promise me something..."

"Of course. What is it?" He asked, taking my hand in both of his. "I'm here for you."

"I need you to promise that... Promise that you won't leave... That you won't think differently about me..."

He forced me to meet his chocolate eyes. "Romeo. At this point, I don't think I could leave if I wanted to, which I don't. You are the closest person to me right now. For as much as I love my mom and Henry, I need you."

I could feel hot tears forming in my eyes. "I need you too, buddy. I need you too."

Julian's arms wrapped around me and I just pulled him closer to my chest. It was so comfortable, as if he just fit against me like a puzzle piece.

"I need to tell you something." I whispered to him.

"Take your time. I don't want to rush you." He said quietly, gently rubbing my back.

I shook my head. "I've taken too much time already. Julian, I... I..."

He pulled back slightly and looked right in my eyes, wiping away one of the forming tears. "It's ok. Don't worry, I'm here for you."

You have no idea buddy...

"Julian... I think I..." The words wouldn't form. "Do you remember what I said just before summer? We were just laying around your house."

"Umm... I don't know, we've done that a lot." He replied. "What did you say?"

"I said... That I thought I was gay. Or bi. Something like that." Julian seemed to finally register what I was explaining. "Well... You're the reason I was thinking that. Julian, I really like you."