WHITE CHRYSANTHEMUMS

[the white chrysanthemum means "truth"]

MINGHAO stared blankly at the white ceiling above him. just thinking.

WEN JUNHUI, the business student known for his looks and charms. MINGHAO has met him once at his friend's, JISOO'S, birthday gathering. just a bunch of people having a glass of wine around the apartment, meeting new people and bonding over the fact they know the man by the name of JISOO and celebrating his birth. JUNHUI'S and MINGHAO'S meeting was everything but awkward, they were able to easily keep a conversation going, with JUNHUI'S expressing his opinions with no care in the world and MINGHAO found himself agreeing with most of the topics. it was nice, but neither of the two had talked to each other since. there's been the occasional glance of acknowledgement, but that's as far as it's got.

MINGHAO can't comprehend how JUNHUI had gotten feelings for MINGHAO, he wants to believe that JUNHUI just falls too easily, he wants to believe that it was just a passing crush and maybe, if he doesn't go meet him today, JUNHUI will just be depressed for a few days and move on right after.

but SOONYOUNG'S words had to come back to him.

it's not like he's wrong. MINGHAO isn't actively looking for someone but JUNHUI just decided to pop into his life and shove an opportunity in his face. why can't he take the chance? he's fantasised about being in a long-term relationship with someone. from going on cute dates and enjoying each other's comfort in silence to waking up in the morning next to them and exchanging gentle touches and kisses before leaving to do their duties for the day. of course, "them" being whoever is willing to deal with his shit to be in a relationship with him and JUNHUI is here doing just that- or suggesting just that.

you know, maybe. just maybe. as cliche, as it sounds, MINGHAO is willing to give it a try after all. he may not feel anything for the older- now, but that can change. emotions work in strange ways, right?

2 pm came around. JUNHUI couldn't help but check the door every couple seconds, waiting for a familiar male to walk in. each time JUNHUI would look up, his heart pounded against his chest and his hands slowly started to get sweatier by the second. JUNHUI'S stomach wanted to take whatever he had for lunch and force it back up his throat and he was suddenly hyper-aware of every sound in the room and how the door looks, almost mockingly at him.

what JUNHUI didn't notice was SOONYOUNG and JIHOON who were both watching from afar, they can see JUNHUI'S head tilt up slightly to look at the door, waiting, hoping for MINGHAO to walk through those doors. hell, SOONYOUNG wasn't even sure if MINGHAO would come. after the conversation they had that morning, it didn't seem likely.

1 minute turned into 5 minutes and that turned into 10 minutes. JUNHUI was anticipating something, he wanted the younger to come, even if it was to reject him. JUNHUI was getting impatient and his hopes were gradually dying down. until he heard the door open and close.

MINGHAO: sorry, I'm really late. I don't have a great excuse, I just- I might've gotten distracted by some shops on the way here. [sheepish laugh.]

here he was, the man JUNHUI has been waiting for; XU MINGHAO.

JUNHUI is pretty sure his heart has sped up at an increasingly fast rate. he swallowed some nerves down and without thinking properly he replied in mandarin.

JUNHUI: it's fine, I'm just glad you're here.

a flicker of shock appeared on MINGHAO'S face but he re-composed himself and gave JUNHUI a small smile.

SOONYOUNG and JIHOON watched the two. they saw that neither of them has moved from where they stood, JIHOON decided to put this to his own hands. he went to JUNHUI and gave him a (hard) pat on the back. JUNHUI looked back at him questioningly and JIHOON just pushed JUNHUI towards MINGHAO even more, with JUNHUI getting the message, he took MINGHAO towards the back of the store.

SOONYOUNG: they'll be alright?

JIHOON: they're grown men, they'll be fine.

MINGHAO: where are we going?

JUNHUI: here.

JUNHUI had dragged MINGHAO to the back of the store, which is essentially just a garden connecting the store to a house further back.

JUNHUI: I guess, you got my notes and flowers...

MINGHAO: yeah, I did.

JUNHUI: [exhales.] okay, I'll just cut to the chase. Minghao, I like- [takes a deep breath in.] I like... you. a lot, and I was hoping, I was hoping that you will accept a date from... me.

MINGHAO just stood there for awhile, contemplating on how to respond. this is what he wanted, right?

JUNHUI took MINGHAO'S silence as a bad sign. MINGHAO really did come to reject him, didn't he? that's a shame.

except, before JUNHUI could open his mouth MINGHAO beat him to it.

MINGHAO: okay.

JUNHUI: [pauses.] okay? as in... you'll go on a date with me?

MINGHAO: [nods.] when and where?

JUNHUI: [smiles.] are you free, right now?

MINGHAO: free till five.

JUNHUI: great, I'll take you out, now. [takes MINGHAO'S hand and starts dragging him back to the shop.]

MINGHAO: wait, wait, wait. [JUNHUI stops and looks at MINGHAO.] I'm not dressed properly for this situation. I'm in plain jeans and a t-shirt for god's sake.

JUNHUI: doesn't matter you look great in everything, now c'mon. [drags MINGHAO again.]

MINGHAO swore his heart might've quickened for a second.

SOONYOUNG and JIHOON watched as their two friends exited the florist, fond smiles rested on their faces.

SOONYOUNG: well, that happened.

JIHOON: it did.

SOONYOUNG: Junhui better pay me extra for covering his shift. [both men laugh.]