The Glow Part 8

Ally sat on her living room couch bundled tightly in a blanket. Ever since she was little she would wrap herself tightly in her favorite blanket whenever she was upset. Even in mid-July when she'd sweat profusely from underneath it. It was all she could do now after the horrifying thing that happened the day before.

Why had Charity done that? Drag an innocent girl off of a staircase head first to both of their deaths. Ally didn't know either of them very well, but they shared some classes together in the past. Charity didn't seem like the type of girl to commit a murder suicide. She was kind. She took care of her sick mother for so long.  

Maybe it was the stress that had finally cracked Charity open like a water melon. It was too late to find out now. Too late to help. Charity's mother came to mind, and Ally couldn't imagine what the woman must be feeling right now. She felt bad enough and she didn't even know them girls. Laura's parents would be so overcome with grief.

There wasn't any explanation. Sure, Ally knew that kids their age committed suicide every day, but there was no reason to drag both of them down. No reason for Charity's eyes to be freakishly glowing blue, or her skin to feel so cold as to be frozen. What did she even mean by those words? Ally wondered quietly.

She needs. I need.

The police detective that came to Ally's school the day before asked a lot of questions it. Apparently there had been lots of horrifying deaths in a similar manner all over town.

There is a knock at the door that startles Ally out of her thoughts. Sad, curious, traumatized thoughts were all she had anymore. A whole night of crying drained every last bit of energy out of her. Her eyes were itchy and red, and hair tangled from the tossing and turning in bed. The school had let her stay home after the incident and instructed her to get some rest, but sleep eluded her.

Slowly, numbly, she unwrapped the blanket from around her body, her bare arms clammy and hot. She went to the door and opened it just a crack. The crisp air coming in as the sun set low in the sky greeted her in a soothing gust. On the other side stood a woman, a tattered blanket clung to her shoulders, dark hair slightly tangled and long down her back. She stood facing away from Ally.

Homeless woman, was Ally's first thought. But the hairs on her neck stood up. Something about the air was colder than it should be for this time of year.

"Hello? Can I help you, Mam?" Ally said, a little shaky.

The woman didn't turn around, but spoke, her voice somewhat bubbly and gleeful. "Are you the girl who witnessed the deaths at the school?"

Ally's stomach sank at this. How did this woman know who I am? Ally wondered. She didn't know how to answer the woman, if she should say no or tell the truth. It could be a reporter trying to catch a story. Or maybe one of the girls' relatives. But why at this time of day? It was getting late, and Ally's parents would be home from work any minute now.

"Y-yes," Ally stammered. The woman tugs the blanket tighter to her body, and Ally wonders if the poor woman is cold. "Are you okay?"

The woman turns suddenly, and Ally's mouth gapes open. This couldn't be possible. Could it? Those same, inhuman eyes staring back at her. Steam from Ally's breath was suddenly rising up in front of her, and she shook violently. It was like she had just stepped foot into one of those big walk-in freezers. But she couldn't move, not even to block out them horrid, abnormal eyes. They drilled into her, straight through to her soul, it felt like.

The woman shuffles a foot forward.

***

Susanna shut the car door behind her with a thud. Her husband, Daniel, was right behind her. It was dark now, as it usually was when they arrived home from work. If she could have taken the day off she would have. Poor Ally. How could their daughter have been witness to something so terrifying at such a young age?

As she walked up to the door, she realized it was open. Her eyes darted from the door to Daniel, who must have also spotted it as he now races to it. Susanna hurried to catch up with him, panic spreading throughout her body. Had someone broken in while Ally was home alone?

"Wait here," Daniel whispered, and slipped inside through the open crack. Susanna waited for a few minutes. The longest minutes of her entire life. "It's okay, Susanna, I found her! She's alright!" Daniel calls.

Relief washed over her as she hurries inside to where Daniel had called from the living room. In the middle of the room at the foot of the couch sat Ally, wrapped in the same blanket as when they had left. Daniel is by her side and asking her worried questions. But Ally doesn't answer. Doesn't even move.

"Ally, it's Mommy," Susanna said, kneeling. "Honey, are you okay?" Ally whispers something too quiet to hear. "I'm sorry, Ally, what was that?"

"She needs," Ally whispers coarsely. "She needs—"

Daniel looked up at his wife. Both knew those were the words that the dead girl had said only the day before. As so many others had said before their deaths, according to Detective Laszlo.

"Ally, did those girls tell you something else?" Daniel asked.

"...No," Ally finally answered. "It was the woman."

Susanna felt like puking all of the sudden. "What woman, Ally?" she asked.

"The woman with the glowing eyes. I have to give her what she wants..." Without warning Ally pulls out a shining dagger. Susanna screams as Ally leaps forward.