PART 45:THE PROMISE OF ALLAH IS INDEED TRUE [Surah Yusuf 12: 110]

110. Until the Messengers despaired and they thought that they had been lied to, Our Help came and We saved whom We pleased, and Our Punishment cannot be averted from the nation of criminals.

In this ayah, Allah reminds the Prophet (PBUH) and us as well how all of the prophets and messengers who came before us carried dawah. Not only did they carry dawah but they carried this dawah for years upon years. However many of them did not find any success in their dawah for a long time. They called their people to Allah for many years, but for many years their people did not respond. For a long time, they called on their people to give up sin. To give up worshipping other than Allah. But their people did not respond to their dawah. For years upon years, the same situation continued. The forces of evil became stronger, and the callers to the Truth became weaker. Sin and corruption were everywhere. The masses were all afflicted with injustice and suffering. This was the situation that many of those who walked on this path before us had to face. With each passing day, the situation would only get worse and worse for the messengers. They would see their efforts bearing no fruits. On the contrary, they would see the condition of their people worsening.

This was the situation that these messengers were in. Now they knew that Allah had promised them that He (swt) would help them. He (swt) had told them that He (swt) would help them if they were sincere in their efforts and they tried their best. That is why these messengers kept on going even though they did not meet with success. However, after a long while, the situation became so desperate that even the messengers themselves started wondering as to when the Help of Allah (swt) would come. They were in such desperation. Such pain. Such hardship. The night just kept getting darker and darker, and there was no sign of the dawn. It came to the point where the messengers themselves started to despair. They thought to themselves that they had been told a lie. They thought to themselves that the Help of Allah would not come. This was how desperate the situation became. This is the reality that Allah describes for us in this part of the ayah.

However what is important for us to note is that these messengers did not give up on their dawah. Even though their situation became so desperate. Even though they even entertained these thoughts of despair, and they even thought to themselves that perhaps the promise of Allah would not be fulfilled, they still did not give up in their dawah. They kept going. This shows us that this thought was only a passing thought that occurred to them. But they did not act based on this thought. Rather when this thought came to them, they reminded themselves that the Promise of Allah is indeed true.

Then Allah says “Our Help came and We saved whom We pleased.” Just when the situation was most desperate, and the patience of these messengers had reached the limit, just at that moment that was when the Help of Allah came.

The benefit that we can take from this part of the ayah is to see that the Help of Allah will eventually come. So we have to believe with utmost certainty that even if takes a long while, the Help of Allah will eventually come. We see from this ayah how long those who came before us had to wait, so we also must be prepared to wait. But while we wait, we must always have the certain knowledge that our wait will be over.

Allah also tells us in this part of the ayah that He (swt) saved whom He (swt) pleased. The Help of Allah finally came. The Messengers and the true believers were finally saved. The Promise was fulfilled. What happened to those who had turned away from their Creator? In the next part of the ayah Allah tells us that His (swt)’s punishment was not averted from them.