Prologue

This is also in the first chapter since some don't read the epilogue.

There is mature content throughout the story and a sprinkle of curse words. You've been warned.

The February winter air was thick with a heavy mist. The smell of smoke and burning wood mingled with the fog; enticing the townspeople with a false hope of warmth during the bitter months.

A manic laugh cut through the silence like a hot knife. It was enough to startle a few people who scattered like hunted rabbits.

A young man, refusing to move, scowled at the noise. "Behagged woman. You will be hanged for your crimes and your flesh turned to ash."

The woman pressed her neck against the rope and smiled. "You think of me as a scared, helpless child? These ropes can not kill me."

"No." The man matched her gaze. "Not scared or helpless. You are nothing but a mad woman."

Her smile faltered for a brief moment. She looked over at the crowd. All the familiar faces were there but, their eyes told a story of fear, anger, and betrayal.

The people that settled here had overcome many obstacles. Illness, harsh winters, low supplies of food, and the absence of proper medical care. The threat of dark magic was not something that they were going to let bring an abrupt end to a town that was just beginning to flourish.

The woman's eyes glowed brightly. "You can torture me, hang me, and burn my flesh but, my body will rise from the ashes before the sun sets."

"Not today, Witch," answered a voice in the crowd.

The whole town was completely silent as the slow descent of their guest took place. He maneuvered his way through the people while clutching his thick cloak close to his body. The magic had taken its toll on him. His scarred, grey skin was pulled tightly over each bone in his body. He had conquered many enemies but, at this point his demise could come from a gust of wind or a persistent cough.

The witch scowled. "I thought you were dead."

"Not yet." He pulled back his hood. "But you will be."

The laughter had disappeared from the witch's face. She stood up straight, the wood beneath her feet groaning in protest.

"You are fighting for the wrong side," she finally said. "We were both born of magic and the humans are trying to control it. I'm here to set us free."

"Bridget," answered the elf, as his silver eyes regarded her coolly. "Your kind are a disease to this land. You steal your magic and poison the soil around you. You were warned to change your practices."

His hands began to glow a bright blue. "You didn't and will now face the consequences."

The witch hissed. "I will kill every single one of you!"

The townspeople moved further back, breaking their silence with frantic whispers.

"Not now and not ever again." The elf held up his hands. His thin silver hair lifted off of his shoulders and danced through the air. The snow around him evaporated.

"Do you know what you are doing?" asked the young man.

The elf coughed as blood trickled from his nose. "James, step back."

The young man's eyes grew wide. His feet almost slipped from under him as he scrambled to seek shelter with the other townspeople.

Bridget glanced at the terrified group of people once more. It wasn't too long ago that she called this place home. Now they had her tied up like a wild animal.