Chapter 8

Peeta

Katniss has begun to push me away a little. She doesn't talk, doesn't joke around and boss everyone around like usual. She just sit and mopes. We preform, but she always just wants to go back to the hotel right after and not for the reason we usually go back to the hotel. Just to sleep and roll away from me. She says she still wants me there. I find it harder and harder to believe her when she doesn't even want me to hold her.

Tonight, we didn't even perform. After we came home with food, she just rushed to the bathroom and locked the door. I decide to leave her alone for a while. I leave the food on the desk and go to sit on the bed and wait it out.

Until its been over two hours and she's still shut up. I go over and slip one of her bobby pins into the lock to pop it open and swing open the door. But nothing could prepare me for the scene I see when I get there.

Katniss is sitting in the corner of the bathtub, sobbing. She's soaked in blood, but I can't see where it would be coming from. She must hear me because she looks up at me and suddenly tries to straighten herself up a little until she looks down and sees the red stains all over her jeans and tshirt.

"Peeta, I'm sorry, I didn't know," she starts crying again and clutches her legs to her chest. I go over to her side and she ducks her head down, her face turned away from me.

"Katniss, what the hell is going on?" I ask. She shakes her head and I grab a wash cloth to start washing some of the blood away from her arms.

"Where is the blood coming from, Katniss?" I say eventually. She looks up at me, her grey eyes dull and full of tears.

"There was something I should have told you," she says. "But, I." She looks down a moment and then she finally meets my eyes. "There was a baby." I look her and she just starts crying again.

"You're pregnant?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"I, I don't," she sucks in a deep breath and looks at the bloody hand she had tucked between her legs. "I was, but I'm pretty sure that's not true anymore. Not with this much blood." She just breathes heavily and pushes me away. I just stare at her and she starts to get up. "I have to clean up." I grab her arm and sit her back down.

"No, Katniss stay down," I say. "We need an ambulance." She shakes her head and pushes me away from her.

"The bleeding stopped," she says. "Its not emergent. I want to wash up and then if it would make you feel better we can go somewhere to get me looked at, but I want the blood gone. I need it to go away so let me take a damn shower and leave me alone." I want to say more but I just nod and get up and walk towards the door.

I don't know what to do. How I could help her or even what to think about this whole mess. I just shut the bathroom door and slide down it, staring absent mindedly at the wall. Not understanding when we were so happy living this life, how everything could turn to crap so fast.

Katniss

I stand up and quickly remove my clothing, cringing at the blood. I may have hunted, helped buther a cow or two. But knowing what this blood is, why I'm bleeding so much, I feel sick. If I wasn't going to have this baby, I wanted it to be on my terms. And I hadn't even made that decision. I only took a test three days ago. And now, my body made the decision my mind hadn't come to yet.

I turn on the shower and feel the water rushing over me, washing away my mistake. The puddle at my feet turns from the smeared red to a pale orangish to the white of the bathtub. I scrub my blood away from where it clotted and stuck to my body and watch solemnly as it to rinses away in the falling water. I feel like crying all over again, but I haven't got anymore tears for something I only had for two whole days.