Chapter 3

Katniss

We walk into the motel room and I set my guitar case down and walk into the bathroom with my suitcase. I shut the door and look in the mirror. I pull the tie off the end of my hair and slowly undo the tight knots I had made to keep my wild Raven colored curls at bay. I open the top of my case and pull out my brush and run it through my hair a few times, trying to make my appearance a little more tolerable. I feel a little nervousness grow in the pit of my stomach as I apply a little light makeup to my face.

Other than the first time, I've never been this nervous about sleeping with someone. After I knew what it felt like, how pleasurable it really was, sex became no big deal for me. It was just a release, away to let go of my troubles and feel good.

But the passion, the heat I feel between that man sitting outside that door makes me shiver. I've never actually spent the night with any of my other lovers. They get their few pumps in, go soft, and they are done, leaving me empty and meaningless, the crawl up the stairway to heaven and the sudden feeling that you've lost your footing and falling down to feeling nothing but his warmth leaking out of you as he dresses and leaves, telling you you're the best he's ever had and "we should do it again sometime."

The was a guy that I could get going for a second round every once and a while with a little oral attention, but was always too sensitive to last even as long as he had the first time. My release always came later, after the door shuts behind him, by my hand.

But there is something, some sort of feeling in my gut, that tells me tonight I won't have to handle myself tonight. Even as I made out with him on that train, he was still concerned that I was enjoying myself too, his hands roaming over me and giving attention when I responded to it with soft moans.

"Yes," I decide as I look at myself in the mirror, "this one is different."

There is a sudden knock on the door and I am broken from my thoughts.

"You alright in there?" I hear Peeta's voice ask softly.

"Yeah, I'll be right out," I say before spraying a light mist of perfume over myself to cover up the smell of nervous sweat. I walk out and he offers me a small paper cup. I take a sip and look at him. "Where on earth did you get wine?"

"The mini fridge," he says.

"Well aren't you a gentleman," I reply.

"I try to be," he says. I walk over to the bedside table and set down my cup as I start fiddling with the bedside clock radio. I find a station playing Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar. I turn around and look at Peeta. He nervously holds out his hand and I take it in mine as I walk up to him. We look at each other, clearly both a little uneasy about how to initiate.

"Are you alright?" I ask.

"I'm fine," he says. "I've just, I've never done this before."

"With a stranger?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"With anyone," he says softly. I blink up at him and take a step closer to him.

"Are you sure you want to do this with me?" I ask. "If it's your first time I don't want-" I'm cut off by his lips against mine. I accept it and feel the force of his arms as they press me closer to him. I cup his cheeks and lightly run my fingernail across his jaw. I break the kiss to slowly start kissing his neck.

I feel his hands slowly, cautiously, run down the line of my spine and rub the fabric between his fingers. I move up to his ear and whisper softly, gently.

"Take it off"

He pulls the thick black fabric up my body and I step away enough for him to get it over my head. He looks down, his eyes studying every detail of the black chain that stretches across my abdomen, crossing just below my breasts clad in my plain, thin white bra.he swallows and I reach out and take his blue Tshirt between my fingers and slide it up, off his body. I take in the soft planes of his body, the curves of his slightly prominent chest and abdomen muscles I reach out and gentle touch his happy tail of dark blonde curls leading beneath his jeans. I feel his breath hitch as I touch his stomach and I gently start kissing him again.