Chapter 5

Katniss

"The deal was, if I recall correctly Kitty," Finnick says crossing his arms. "We don't just add people to this thing we've got going on without everyone agreeing upon it." Gale nods and Johanna doesn't meet my eyes.

"I made the rule," I say. "And the rule was, adding booty calls and groupies to the band wasn't allowed." I turn to where Peeta sits at the bar. "And he is gonna help with our gear and stuff."

"Yeah," Gale says. "But I'm pretty sure he still counts as a booty call. Just because he's your booty, it doesn't change the rule."

"What if he proved his worth?" Johanna asks the guys before turning to me and flicking her red streaked bangs away from her face. "Can he play anything? Sing maybe?"

"I don't know," I say. "It never came up."

"Really?" Gale asks. "It didn't come up while you were blowing him."

"Shut up Gale," Finnick says. "You don't have anywhere to talk when it comes to calling someone a whore." He looks over my shoulder and yells at Peeta. "Hey you! Come here!"  He walks over and stands in the space between me and Johanna.

"Kitty said you wanna try to hang with us," Johanna says. "But you see, we each have to pull our own weight if we wanna get to the top."

"Can you do anything that's gonna keep hotel roofs over our heads is what she's trying to get to the point of," Finnick says a little sharply. Peeta turns to me.

"You didn't tell me about this," he says and I shrug.

"I told you we sing for our supper," I say. "So do you play anything or sing or something else that's gonna help us make dough?" 

"Um, I can kinda sing I guess," he says. "If I have to."

"Oh you're gonna have to," Gale says. I shoot him a stern look and then turn to Peeta.

"What he means, Honey," I say. "Talk is cheep. You gotta prove it." I get up and walk onto the stage and the others follow me, Peeta hesitant until I hold out my hand and pull him up. Finnnick gives the count and the we start playing. I glance at Peeta brief moment before gripping the mic and belting out the lyrics.

"Now Listen
Not a dime, I can't pay my rent
I can barely make it through the week
Saturday night I'd like to make my boy
But right now I can't make ends meet

I'm always working slaving every day
Gotta get away from that same old same old
I need a chance just to get away
If you could hear me think this is what I'd say" I shove the mic towards Peeta and force him to sing the chorus with me and though he's hesitant, he does start to try to sing with me.

"Don't need nothin' but a good time
How can I resist
Ain't looking for nothin' but a good time
And it don't get better than this" I step back as it the chorus ends and Peeta glances at me kind of panicked but starts the second verse like it is his own. He's good. I mean he's no Paul Stanley or Jon Bon Jovi, but he hits the notes and overall, he seems to get the hang of it.

"They say I spend my money on women and wine
But I couldn't tell you where I spent last night
I'm really sorry about the shape I'm in
I just like my fun every now and then

"I'm always working slaving every day
Gotta get away from that same old same old
I need a chance just to get away
If you could hear me think this is what I'd say," I stand up next to him and feel some confidence in sharing the stage with him. I give him a wink as we finish out the song, together.

Don't need nothin' but a good time
How can I resist
Ain't looking for nothin' but a good time
And it don't get better than this

Don't need nothin' but a good time
How can I resist
Ain't looking for nothin' but a good time
And it don't get better than thisi
Game
Don't need nothin' but a good timeii
How can I resistii
Ain't looking for nothin' but a good time
And it don't get better than this

Don't need nothin' but a good time
How can I resist
Ain't looking for nothin' but a good time
And it don't get better than this." I finish off the song with strong chords from my guitar and turn to my band.

"You're kidding me right?" Gale says.

"He was good," I say.

"Good?" Gale says setting his guitar down. "Good isn't gonna get us anywhere, Kitty. Yeah, maybe he's decent, but we don't need to add anyone to what we have going on."

"We could use another vocalist though," Johanna says. "Someone who can keep up with Kitty better than you or Gale. He could be useful. I say we keep him around."

"She's right Gale," Finnick says. "You may think your backup for Kitty is all that, but she needs someone who can actually harmonize with her if we are gonna make anything out of this."

"I can't believe this!" Gale says. "You're all just gonna turn your back on us, after all we worked on."

"We aren't turning our backs on anyone," I say. "Unless this is something that makes you want to turn your back on us?"

"I'm not gonna just stand by while the guy you're screwing this week takes my place," he says. "It's this poor bastard or me." No one responds and I glance at Peeta and he gives me no indication of stepping out. Gale just scoffs and unplugs his guitar and going to pack his things.

"Gale!" I say. "Really? You're acting like a child."

"Well, you obviously have finally moved on," he says. "But how long is this one gonna stick around? A week? A month? How long until he realizes just how messed up you are and that your pussy isn't worth the baggage? I'm done Katniss. I'm not sticking around for you to fuck every time some roadie breaks your heart or bad shit happens, you worthless whore."

"Get out while you can still walk?" Peeta says and I glance at him to silence him. This is my fight and he needs to get out of it before Gale says the wrong thing.

"Oh I'm going," Gales says. "But buddy, if you want my advice, I'd ask about Alexander before you get to deep. It makes it easier to let go before she gets her claws in you." He turns and leaves. Finnick goes after him but Johanna just gets up as I turn and sit down.

"Kit?" She asks as she kneels next to me. "Are you okay?"

"He promised," I choke. "That he'd never say anything about that. That son of a bitch!"

"Do you need some time or-" Peeta starts to ask but I shake my head.

"No," I say. "If that's how he wants to play, then this band is better off without him. Go see get Finnick we need to get ready for our set tonight." Johanna nods and gets up to go. I look at Peeta and he just stands there.

"I'm not going to ask," he says. "If you don't wanna tell, don't."

"Thank you," I say. "On the bright side, I think without that stick in the mud, you'll be able to stick around without them being in an argument about it."

"You think so," he asks.

"Definitely," I say. "Welcome to the spotlight, baby."