Chapter 22: Menace

The new group run by Caesar Martinez was only a shell of the comradery Arden had in the prison.  These people, while decently nice, were living out of RVs and tents under constant fear of walker attack.  Early on her third morning at camp Arden stood over what was termed the “walker pit”- a large hole in the ground which approaching walkers fell into and were later killed.  Arden lifted a gun, resting the butt against her shoulder blade and with an exhale steadied the rifle.  Dark eyes looked through the scope at the decaying skull of a female walker who groaned and clawed at her prison.  The shot rang out, recoil pushing Arden back but her blank expression didn’t change.  Instead she re-aimed the rifle and with an exhale pulled the trigger, another walker falling down to its final resting place.

“Arden!”  Another shot, eyes still focusing into the pit.  “Hey,” Matt grabbed onto Arden’s arm and quickly ducked as the girl spun around, the gun still in her hands, “Woah, point it down at the ground.”

Arden blinked slowly as if attempting to distinguish where she was.  Her mouth opened and she lowered the gun, “I’m, I’m sorry I-“

“Hey!”  Martinez stormed out of the RV, his voice booming and footsteps long and purposeful, “What the fuck do you think you’re doing!?”  The male grabbed the rifle out of Arden’s hands, turned the safety on, and threw it to the ground.  “You wanna attract all the walkers in this area huh?”

Matt stepped between Arden and Martinez, his eyes narrowed, “Don’t yell at her.”

Martinez groaned already understanding how the dynamic between Arden and Matt.  The two were fiercely protective of each other to an aggravating level.  “Then get her in line,” Martinez pointed at Arden, his voice lowering, “Or I will.”

Once the man was back inside his RV Matt turned around and grabbed Arden’s face with one hand, pinching her cheeks together and causing her lips to pout.  “What are you doing?  Why are you acting like this?”

Arden pulled away but could only step backwards so far lest she fall into the pit.  “I already said I’m sorry so back off okay?”

“No,” Matt took a menacing step towards his sister, “I won’t back off.  You’re different and don’t tell me you aren’t.  You don’t talk anymore.  You won’t tell me about what happened during those months we were apart and you keep hinting that we should actually stay with these people.”

“Yeah well when you think your brother is dead you might just change a little,” Arden hissed, pushing past Matt and picking up the rifle, “And no I don’t want to stay with these people.  I just want a group okay?  I’m tired of it just being us.”

Matt’s face instantly fell and Arden’s stomach followed suit.  “Matt,” she whispered, dropping the gun and rushing towards her brother who had begun to tremble, “Matt I didn’t mean it.” 

And she held him tightly, face buried in his neck and praying that he would wrap his arms around her.  Praying that his sanity would keep because she was aware of her importance in Matt’s life.  She was all he had.  The only person who claimed to understand him.  The only one who knew of his ugly crime yet still hugged and loved him and promised him that he was not a monster but her wonderful brother.  “Me and you,” Arden whispered, “Right?”

Matt shoved Arden backwards, her steps stumbling and the ground beneath her feet disappearing.  She fell into the pit with a thud, landing on her bottom but her mind did not have time to process the pain.  Instead she was confronted with six walkers, all moving towards her with open mouths and outstretched arms. “Matt!”  Arden screamed, standing up and attempting to climb up the dirt wall but it was pointless, “Matt!”