Chapter 7: Darkness

Blurred mixtures of green and brown whooshed past the speeding vehicle.  In the distance a flock of birds ascended into the sky while two walkers traversed the open field.  With squinted eyes one could forget that the two individuals making their way through the waist high weeds were undead devils.  Perhaps they were best friends taking an early morning stroll to discuss their present and future.  Maybe they were lovers who would tumble down, lips colliding passionately and hands pushing clothes to the side.  Or it could be two dead human beings who gaped and groaned searching for something living to tear apart with their rotting teeth.  Who knows.

The truck gently shook as the engine worked to match the speed Daryl insisted on going.  One hand gripped onto the steering wheel while the other hung out of the open driver side window.  Brisk air circulated through the cabin making Arden shiver and scoot closer to the door.  “Can you roll up the window?”

Daryl’s grip momentarily tightened on the steering wheel but he did nothing to meet Arden’s request.  “Hey,” Arden poked Daryl’s forearm, “I asked if you could roll up the window.”

“I heard ya’,” Daryl leaned away from Arden, as if her touch had burned through his clothing.

“Then….” Arden trailed off, waiting for Daryl to roll up the window but the man didn’t move, “Fine,” The seatbelt clicked as it was unlatched allowing Arden to place her knees on the seat and lean across Daryl’s lap.  One hand pressed into the seat while the other attempted to crank the window up but the sudden swerving of the vehicle caused Arden to lose her balance.  Her free hand landed on Daryl’s thigh in an attempt to stabilize but this act only caused the car to swerve more and Daryl to roughly push her away.  Her back hit the door with a thud as her legs swung out from under her and nearly kicked Daryl in the face.

“The hell do ya think you’re doin!?” 

“Oh don’t flatter yourself,” Arden rolled her eyes as she tried to re-adjust herself, “I was trying to close the window!”

“You could have-“

“What!?  Asked you!  Pretty sure I did now can you please close the fucking window!”

Daryl’s eyes flicked between the road and the female at his side before finally rolling the window up.  “You should watch your mouth,” he mumbled, sitting up straight and adjusting his grip on the wheel.

Arden ran her fingers through her hair as she shook her head from left to right.  She simply could not understand what this man’s problem was.  Granted she hadn’t been all sunshine and butterflies to him but it was only in reaction to him.  “You’re such an asshole,” she whispered, turning to look at Daryl, “Or maybe you just act like an asshole, I haven’t decided yet.”

A nearly unnoticeable smirk came to Daryl’s face as he glanced towards her, “I don’t care what you think of me,” his elbow rested on the thin ledge near the window while his hand gently pulled at his hair.

For the first time since they met Daryl’s voice was calm and even and his eyes didn’t hold the murderous intent they once did.  Arden averted her gaze not sure how to handle a Daryl who wasn’t acting like he wanted to strangle her.  “Yeah well,” her brown eyes looked ahead noticing the blood and oil stained road, “What do you think of me?”

“Don’t matter since you ain’t plannin on stickin around.”

“You say it like it’s a bad thing,” Arden brought her right leg up, her foot resting on the seat while her forehead touched her knee.

Daryl rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb, “Fuckin’ stupid thing.”

“You can’t control me you know?”  Her head turned so her temple rested on her knee and her eyes looked upon the driver, “If I want to leave them I’m leaving, nothing you can do about it.”