Conor x Devin - My Little Lamb (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

Devin nodded sadly and sat back down next to me. "I didn't summon anything," Devin stated the obvious but sad truth, "father will be mad at me."

     "Why would he be mad, it's not your fault that you didn't summon an animal, it just wasn't you destiny?" I held his hand, trying to cheer him up.

     "He just will, it don't matter if it makes sense or not, he'll be mad," Devin stated, he looked to be on the verge of tears.

     The other girl had just tried the nectar and predictable didn't summon anything. The Greencloak called my name and I gave Devin's hand a gentle squeeze before I walked over. I was handed a beautiful golden cup and told to take a sip. I brought the cup to my lips and carefully took a small sip, moments later dizziness overtook me and through blurred vision I could see a bright flash of light. My head immediately cleared and before me stood a large grey wolf with brilliant blue eyes. With a yelp I jumped back in fright. "Go on, he's your companion," the Greencloak smiled at me gesturing to the wolf.

     I shook my head stubbornly, flashbacks of the night that wolf had nearly killed me filled my head. Why did I have to be bonded to such a creature?! The wolf wined a little and shyly approached me, could he tell I was scared? I stood where I was and warily held my hand out towards the wolf. He nuzzled into my palm with a small whine. It felt right, somehow, my head cleared a little and my senses became sharper than before.

     The crowd of people stared, wide eyed, in amazement. I looked over to Devin, who smiled up at me with possibly a hint of resentment. The other Greencloak, whom I had never seen around here before, walked over to me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, "It's time to leave, you summoned not only a spirit animal but the Great Beast Briggan, Trunswick is no longer a safe place for you or for Briggan." He smiled reassuringly at me, "My name's Tarik by the way."

     Admittedly, I was very scared, I don't know this guy or for that matter how could I possibly trust a wolf. I didn't want to leave Devin or my family. Then again I didn't want to have to go back to that jail cell, knowing that at anytime if the Earl decided I could be sentenced to death. With that thought I nodded, "Okay, I'm ready but can I say goodbye to my family first?"

     "Of course but make it quick," Tarik stated with a worried look.

     With that I hurried off and ran over to my family, the guards had cleared most of the crowd away but had apparently allowed my family to stay. I hugged them all one by one. Briggan trotted over after me and like a dog sat down at my feet wagging his tail. "We're all so proud of you, Conor," my mother smiled at me and planted a kiss on the top of my head.

"Thanks ma, that Greencloak, Tarik, says it's not safe for Briggan and I here," I stated, on the verge of tears, "I won't be able to stay in Trunswick anymore, I'm sorry, I know you need me."

My older brother ruffled my hair, "Conor, we'll manage, we always do," he smiled down at me, "you need to go where it's safer."

The rest of my family nodded in agreement. I gave them all one last hug. I found Devin next, "Hey," I smiled shyly at him, afraid of how he would react.

"Hey, Conor, congratulations," he smiled at me and hugged me but still somehow something didn't feel right between us.

I gave him a quick parting kiss and told him goodbye for now and then I hurried back to where Tarik stood waiting.

     "Okay, let's hurry, the Conquerors will be here soon," Tarik stated hurriedly and with that we rushed off.

     "Who are the Conquerors?" I panted as we ran.