Chapter 4: Tutor

"What are you doing Addy?" Nick asked coming down the stairs. Addy was standing over the stove with eggs bacon and sausage cooking while she had a book with papers on the counter to her right and a pencil in her mouth as she flipped the bacon with the cooking pliers with her right hand and stirred the eggs with a spatula with her left hand. She set the utensils down on a napping on the counter and took the pencil out of her mouth.
"I'm making breakfast," she said confused.
"While doing homework?" He asks.
"This is Kayla's she forgot it here and I didn't want her to get s bad grade on it" Addy shrugs.
"Ok" he shakes his head with amusement. Addy shuts off the oven and starts to put the food on 4 different plates.
"Are we expecting people?" Nick asks grabbing one.
"The guys are coming over," she said right as the door opened. The two guys walked over and sat down on the stools at the counter.
"Do you guys just come over for free food?" Nick asked once she set plates in front of Zac and Asher.
"No, that's just a bonus," Zac said, digging into his food. Addy laughed and brought the dishes she used to cook over to the sink and began washing them. A phone started to ring and Addy turned to the boys.
"Can someone get that please?" She asked. Nick popped out of his seat and grabbed her phone.
"Hello?" He answered. A confused look came on his face and he faced the phone away from his ear.
"It's the school," he said confused. Addy quickly turned off the water, dried her hands and took the phone away from him.
"Hello?" She answered.
"Hello Ms.Skylar, we're sorry to call you while you're at home but we were wondering if you could get to school early we have something to discuss with you." The very familiar voice of the vice principal, Mr.Peterson, comes through the phone.
"May I ask what it's about," she said concerned.
"A fellow student of yours, Adam Wesley," he said.
"What about him?"
"We will discuss the rest when you get here." He said.
"Ok, I'll get there as soon as I can," she said.
" Alright see you then."
"Bye" she aid then hung up. All three boys were looking at her with expectant eyes.
"It's nothing" she shook her head.
"Who were you guys talking about?" Nick asked.
"Another kid, don't worry about it" she shrugged, " but I have to go so see you guys later, Nick can you finish the dishes please," she said. He nodded. " see you guys," she said grabbing her coat, keys, and backpack.
Entering the school, she noticed that the hallways were mostly empty except a few straggling students and teachers. She took a right down a hallway and entered the main office. 
"Hi Mrs.Williams," Addison greeted the familiar lady sitting at the counter. 
"Hello, Addy, Mr.Peterson is waiting for you in his office," she said politely. 
"Ok," Addy responded and began walking towards his door. She knocked and waited for his response before walking in. The faded blue colors of his walls brought contrast to the dark wooden furniture he had in the office. She walked forward and sat down at one of the chairs seated opposite of his. 
"You asked to see me Mr.Peterson?" she says. 
"Yes, I need your help" he stated vaguely. 
"With what?" she asked quite warily. 
"This" he stated, placing a file in front of her. She slowly reached forward and grabbed it. Opening the rather large file she saw information that she never knew she would have access to.
Adam Wesley. 
Senior.
11/16/2000
Sports:

Football
Baseball

Basketball

Addy couldn't help but think of the stereotype he must get. 
"I don't see the problem," she said looking up at Mr.Peterson.
"Look at his report cards," he said, gesturing towards the file. She flipped through a couple of pages before spotting his report card.
English: C
Geometry: F
World History: D-
Chemistry:C+

"With all due respect Mr.Peterson, what does this have to do with me?" she asked, closing the file and setting it on his desk.
"We want you to tutor him" He stated bluntly. Addy's eyebrows shot up. 
"Me? Tutoring him?" she asked in disbelief. He nodded in return. 
"Three times a week, get him on track to graduate, get his grades up, and just make sure he holds his own. That's all I'm asking of you" He stated. 
"That sounds like a lot" she responded. He sighed.
"Why me?" 
"We've tried setting him up with other tutors but it hasn't turned out" 
"and you think that I can what? do my magic and suddenly get his grades up"
"I know that Adam can be quite a handful sometimes but-"
"I don't even know the kid, him being a handful isn't the problem. The problem is that I don't want to waste my time on a kid who clearly doesn't care about his grades and probably won't even show up" she stated, getting rather frustrated. The vice principal sighed.
"We'll have you do weekly reports, and if things get out of hand then we'll call it off. You can quit at any time but you could benefit from this" he said.
"How exactly?" she asked.
"How about I'll just owe you one," he offered. 
"he's not the best kid. It will take effort" The vice principal added.
"but you can promise me that the second I say it's done, it's done," she said. He nodded.
"Ok, I'll do it," she said. He breathed a sigh of relief. 
"Ok great, when can you meet up with him," he said.
"Tell him to meet me after school today in the library," she said.
"Ok, will do" he nodded. She began to walk out but as soon as she opened the door he said something. 
"And Addy?" she turned around and raised a questionable eyebrow, "thank you" she smiled at him and then left. Walking into the hallway she noticed more students had appeared, among those were Nick, Zac, and Asher. She walked over to them, accidentally interrupting their conversation.
"Hey, what was that about?" Nick asked, gesturing to the office. 
"Some kid I need to tutor" she shrugged. 
"Who?" Zac asked leaning against the lockers and taking a bite of a cookie, that seemingly came from nowhere. 
"Adam Wesley," she said. Zac spits out the cookie from his mouth and looked at Addy with wide eyes. 
"Adam Wesley?" he said in disbelief. She nodded. 
"Why?" she shot back. The two other guys, along with Addy, gave Zac a confused look.
"There something you want to tell us Zac?" Nick suggested. 
"uh...nope...I uh gotta...uh...go" he said, still wide-eyed, and walked away. 
"What was that about?" she asked the two boys. They shrugged.
"No idea" Asher answered. 
"Hmm, oh well. I gotta get to class, see ya" she said, waving two fingers at them and walking away. 
****************************************
By the time lunch came, Addy was ready to go home. For some reason, today she was extremely exhausted. It was as if all the lack of sleep had finally caught up with her. She dragged her feet across the cafeteria floor and sat down at the table that their group had claimed a few years back. 
"Well don't you look dead," Kayla commented when Addy sat down. 
"Just really tired for some reason," she said, not really focusing on anything in particular, "but I'm fine. I just need to eat. I'm starving," she said, digging into her food. 
"Hey, Addy?" Nick's voice brought her attention up from her food. Her eyes focused on his face but didn't make eye contact. 
"Hmm?" 
"When are you starting that tutoring thing?" he mumbled as he ate his sandwich. 
"After school," she responded. 
"What tutoring thing?" Ava asks. 
"She's tutoring this kid named Adam Wesley" Nick shrugged. Kayla spits out her water that she was drinking, spraying it all over Addy's food. 
"Kayla?!!!" Addy said, "what the hell?" 
"Adam Wesley," she said, ignoring what Addy said. Addy nodded. 
"What's the big deal?" she asked looking at Kayla and Zac, who had freaked out before. 
"Nothing," she said, "just, be careful," and with that, Kayla and Zac got up and left. 
Addy's gaze followed them as they exited the cafeteria in a rush. 
"What is up with them?" Addy asked. 
"I don't know" Asher and Nick both shrugged. 
"I'll see you guys later, I have to meet with Mr. Goudhill about an assignment," Addy said, leaving the cafeteria. 
***************************************
The obnoxious noises of the adolescent teenagers faded out as the library doors shut behind Addison. She walked over to an empty table and sat down, situating her backpack onto the table and putting her headphones in, beginning to work on some homework while she waited for Adam.