Task Two - The Citizen - Females

Start from the beginning

“Don’t pretend you know me,” I warned.

“You,” he continued, pointing at me, “You lie for lying’s sake. For the thrill. But is that all?”

“You’re wrong.” Lie.

Maybe.

I kicked the chair away from between us, opening the gap. “Turn around,” I ordered. He held has hands up defensively and did as I told. I quickly took a step up, but before I could grab something to tie his hands with, he spun around and directed the gun away from him. We both had our hands on it, staring at each other in shock, but that clearly wasn’t optimal for either. We clutched the different parts and had fought over the handgun, occasionally shoving each other, until he finally overpowered me. With a big yank upwards, not only did I lose the gun, but I also fell forward into him. He was a fair bit taller than me, and he held the gun up out of my reach with a grin. I sighed.

Swiftly, I reached up for his jaw, cupping his face. “We would have made great partners,” I said. I flicked my wrists, flexing certain muscles in my arms to activate the concealed blades hidden beneath my sleaves. Before he could wipe the stupid grin off his face, the blades shot up through his chin and into his skull. They were long enough that they would have just surfaced his brain.

His limbs slumped, sending him crashing to the ground while still holding the gun away from me. His body lay on the floor as I wiped down the blades with some cloth, retracted them and washed my own hands of his blood. I sauntered out of the kitchen to Iliana with my head lifted.

“What happened?” She asked.

“I dealt with him.”

DISTRICT THREE - Eclaire Cyppel

Unlike in District Three, the stars here don't shine through the smog. The night sky holds an unnatural glow and is starless. The fires do nothing to help with that.

My throat burns as I glance at them; of shame for ditching the front line when looking at the rebel bodies, and of guilt for killing living, breathing human beings when looking at the peacekeepers. Before burning them, everyone said their goodbyes to our fellow rebels, but I stood at the back with Auriel and Meri because none of us had any connections to them. A few people cried and layed on a perticular body for hours, while others spend a few seconds on each and then went to get cleaned up. I was one of those people.

After a good amount of rebels left the fire, I took my leave and went to one of the few makeshift changing stations set up. I step inside and slap my shoes off and roll my socks into balls, cringing at the nasty smell they excrete. I replace them both and grab a fresh uniform from a rack behind the curtain while stepping inside myself.

Not a second after I pull the curtain, a bell rings three times, resonating around all of Glory Square. Three means to be on alert, but there appears to be no threat at the moment. Nevertheless I hang the clothes back up and sprint out of the curtain.

My feet pound the damaged tile of Glory Square as I run to where I last saw Auriel and Meri. Sure, the bell just might be signaling a false alarm, but back in District Thirteen during training we were taught to always be ready. 

"Eclaire!" The alertness and urgency in Meri's voice scares me. I turn on my heel to face her, wisps of ebony hair floating into my vision. 

"What's going on? Where's Auriel?" 

Meri's nose perks up when I say Auriel's name. "Auriel told me she went to find you!" She sweeps back her sunstreaked hair and rocks on the balls of her feet.