Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start bij het begin

Kane couldn't help the smile that played on his features at the mere mention of Mason's name. "Yeah. He and I we," he smiled wider, "just connect on another level. I know that we are meant to be mates."

"I so knew it!" Heath told him. "Peyton said that there was no way, but I was sure. I've seen the way you look at him, and at the party, when I saw you two together I just knew there was more to it."

"You were right," he said. Kane wondered how many other people wondered about he and Mason. Kane stood and kept packing. "Can you make sure that the parents are okay while I'm gone?"

Heath nodded, his face turning sombre. "Yeah. I'll do my best. Dad said you haven't really talked to them since you found out. Is that true?"

"I'm upset," Kane admitted. He tried to keep the hurt off of his face, but he was sure some of it leaked into his features. Every time he thought about the people he loved betraying him the feeling in his chest got harder to bare. "Can you blame me?"

"No," Heath answered in honesty. "I don't blame you, but you know that you can't be angry forever. They are our parents."

He knew that one day he would need to forgive them, but he couldn't now. Not yet anyway. "I'll be angry until the spell is reversed."

Heath didn't say anything for a few seconds. He played with the edge of the bedspread. "And if you can't get it reversed?" he asked eventually.

"Don't say that," Kane asked of him quickly. He couldn't hear that.

"It's possible, isn't it?"

Kane shook his head. "I'm not thinking like that, okay?"

"Okay."

Kane went to zip up his bag when he remembered that he was forgetting something. He walked over to his closet and reached up to the top shelf. He wrapped his fingers around the box he knew was up there.

"Why are you getting that?" Heath asked.

"It's for Mason," Kane admitted. He turned to his brother. "Do you think it would be okay if I gave it to him?"

Heath nodded slowly. "I think that's a wonderful idea. You really are a romantic, aren't you?"

Kane ignored that. He placed the box carefully in the duffle bag and zipped it up. "I should go."

Heath walked over to him and wrapped him in a long, hard hug. "I'm proud of you," he said as he stepped back.

"Don't burn the house down while I'm gone," Kane instructed.

"I can't make any promises."

Kane made his way down the stairs with his duffle bag slung over his shoulder. He was greeted at the bottom of the stairs with Nora who sat on the edge of the couch, two bags at her feet. Grace sat on the couch, her eyes set on the television.

Kane tussled Grace's hair. "See you in a week," he told her.

"Bye," she told him. "Bring me a present."

Kane laughed. "I will only bring you a present if you're super annoying to Heath while I'm gone."

Grace smiled up at him. "Deal."

Nora laughed. Kane liked hearing the sound. It had been a long time since he saw a smile on her face.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked her.

Nora motioned towards the bags on the floor. "Yep."

That one word was more than he had heard her speak in almost a day. "Okay. Mason should be here any moment."