Chapter Twenty-Two

Kane folded his hands behind his head and glanced over at Mason, who was sitting at his desk. He looked so happy there, a paint brush in his hands and his head tilted down towards the piece of canvas he was working on. "Sorry it's taking so long," Mason said softly, not lifting his eyes.

Kane didn't mind. He was happy watching Mason work. When he had arrived, Mason had hurriedly told him that he was painting something special for his aunt's birthday the next day and was in a rush to get it done. "No hurry," Kane assured him.

Mason turned in his chair, facing Kane who was on his bed. "Comfortable there?" he asked with a smirk.

Kane wriggled around on Mason's bed for a few seconds before nodding. "Very. Thanks for asking."

Mason just smirked at him before turning back to the canvas.

Kane's eyes travelled around his room and he couldn't help but be absorbed in the art that surrounded him. He was sure that he could have lied there for hours. He wasn't sure how long he was there for, but before he knew it, there was no more light streaming in through Mason's bedroom window, and Mason was handing him a beautiful, finished, painting of a stunning lake with pristine water. Kane cautiously held the painting, careful to not touch any of the drying paint.

"It's stunning."

Mason shrugged at the compliment. "You say that about all my paintings."

Kane met his eyes. "Because it's the truth." He wanted him to know he was being honest. He really did think that Mason created masterpieces. Kane had never really been into art before, but looking at Mason's paintings made him feel something that he hadn't known was inside of him. Mason's paintings told a story that went deeper than the brush strokes.

Mason's cheeks turned slightly red. He turned away but Kane noticed well before he did. "We should go, I think we are late."

Kane checked the time. They were well past late. Peyton had told him to be there at six and it was almost eight. Kane jumped up from the bed and looped his arm over Mason's shoulders. "Ready for your first Peyton party?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Kane remembered the night they met and he hoped that tonight wouldn't be like that. It was dark outside, and maybe people wouldn't notice Mason's eyes and maybe the smell of burning wood and alcohol stained breath would hide that he smelled different to other wolves. He just didn't want Mason to be uncomfortable.

"You know," Kane told him, "if it gets too much, we can just leave. Just say the word and we can do something else."

Mason looked at him with an expression he just couldn't pin down. He didn't speak for a few long moments, and Kane tried to read his thoughts through his face but he couldn't. Mason was so unreadable sometimes.

When he did finally speak, his voice was soft. "You're a good person, Kane. Better than most."

Kane didn't know what to say to that. It wasn't like he had offered to save the world from destruction, just leave a party if his friend got overwhelmed. He didn't think that was a big deal, but from the look in Mason's eyes, it was to him.

He noticed that Masons eyes were flickering between his eyes and his mouth. He found himself doing the same thing. He wanted to kiss him. The realisation hit him like a truck and he had to fight every bone in his body that told him to get closer. He felt like he couldn't breathe. He let go of his hold on Mason and took a step away from him. It wasn't that he wanted the space, but his mind told him that he needed it. He wasn't sure what would have happened if he hadn't broken the trance they had been in. Would he have really kissed him?