Ch.5 - Where the Time Goes

"Can't... Breathe... Need... Air!" I had been searching for what felt like forever just to find a place to hide so I could stop and take a breath. Finally I found a hollow at the base of a tree, just something small to hide in and I dove into that hollow as quickly as I could, knowing he was gaining on me.

"I know you're here little vixen. I can smell you. Can you smell me? Do you know what I'm going to do when I find you?"

'Close, so close. Please don't find me.' I thought. 'Please don't find me.'

I felt him stop at the tree and I stayed still, not even breathing for fear he'd hear me.

"I know you're there. I know you can hear me." He stuck his muzzle into the hollow of the tree and my tail was just close enough that he was able to grab on and start pulling me out.

I yelped and started scrambling, trying desperately to get away from the jaws that had my tail in their grasp. I felt my back legs hit the walls at the opening of the tree, giving me just a little leverage to try and hold on. He kept pulling and soon enough he'd either pull me out or rip my tail out of place or completely off.

I woke up when Duval's car started up my driveway. I blinked, holding my head and looking around.

"You were half out of it and by the time I got in the car to start it you were already fast asleep. I didn't want to wake you since you looked so peaceful."

I sighed, getting out of his car and heading to my back door, making sure he was close when I opened the door.

"Angeline..." I turned and looked at him as he spoke. "Will." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Do you want to move in with me? At least until you get everything figured out? I've got the spare room and you know I keep it clean and there are plenty of sheets and things and I know you don't like being alone whenever things start to get weird or strange because you've spent a few nights with me and I've spent a few nights at your place off and on and..."

I laughed, smiling softly at this man in front of me rambling on after asking me if I wanted to live with him. Not like we hadn't talked about it before, but usually it came down to we both liked some space and we weren't dating so it would just get awkward if he wanted to bring a girl home or if I had a guy I wanted to bring in.

I realized he hadn't stopped babbling on about this and that I put my hand over his mouth, forcing him to stop. "Are you asking just about moving in?" He nodded and I stood there for a minute, thinking about everything.

What do I do if he finds out about my secret? What if he ends up asking me to be his girlfriend? Could I break his heart like that? The thoughts flew through my head as I opened my door and picked my mail up. Maybe I should move in with him. I have had feelings for him for years, but what if he finds out I'm a shifter? What if Devlin comes around? Could I really handle that? His brother is a wolf shifter and hates me. Though Devlin also hates Duval so the chances of him moving in would be slim to none and

"Angeline? Ange? Did I break your brain?" Duval was waving a hand in front of my face when I finally came to.

"Sorry, just thinking. Lots on my mind kind of. I... Let me see how I do here tonight?"

"You want me to sleep over just in case?"

I nodded, "And if I panic and freak out you're here and if I don't I don't."

He smiled, "Let me run home and get my bag packed. I'll be back soon."

When he closed the door behind him something in my snapped and it felt like I couldn't breathe. "Duval. Duval!" I ran to the door and fumbled with the knob, falling through the opening when Duval opened the door. He caught me as I shook.

"Okay, you're moving in with me. No arguing. Let's get you some things packed." I nodded. There was no arguing and Duval was right. I was in no shape to be left alone.

I love you, Duval.