Ch. 2

Around 7PM, I got hungry.  I knew Tony would probably still be in his lab with everyone else, so I decided to go back down and see if we could order food or something.  There was no way I was the only one hungry in this compound.  It was full of fugitives that probably didn't eat well all the time and if they weren't a fugitive, they were either me or Tony and we got hungry often. 

I packed up my homework, deciding to be done for the night.  I had been working on it for a long time and had come really close to finishing it.  I probably would have if I hadn't gotten distracted with talking to Karen for nearly an hour.  I only stopped because Tony called me and told me to stop or he'd turn Karen off.  I had quickly stopped and returned to my homework, but I hadn't finished it all.  I had a lot to catch up on from the days I had missed school and now I was going to miss even more.  I wonder if Tony could call the school and tell them to not give me any homework. 

I was running down the stairs when I saw someone pulling into the compound.  I paused on the last step before turning to go down to the lab so I could watch the car pull in.  I didn't know who would be coming to the compound at this hour let alone at all.  Happy and Pepper usually didn't come and they didn't come escorted in a huge, black SUV.  When I saw the passenger step out of the car, my breath caught in my throat. 

"FRIDAY?"  I asked.  She didn't respond, but I knew she was listening.  "Tell Tony General Ross is here and he doesn't look happy."  General Ross pounded on the door and his three escorts stood around him.  I froze, not knowing if I should answer the door.  I was fairly certain FRIDAY had every door locked and sealed tightly, but if General Ross was already angry, not answering would make him even more mad.  Besides, if we didn't answer and he thought Mr. Rogers and his team had returned, it would look suspicious to not open the door.  With that thought in mind, I stumbled to answer the door.  Just as my hand and gripped the knob and I knew General Ross had seen me coming, FRIDAY spoke up. 

"Mr. Stark wants you in the lab immediately,"  FRIDAY told me.  I rolled my eyes, punching in the code to unlock the doors slowly. 

"Tell him it's a little late for that,"  I replied.  I pulled open the door and General Ross barged inside.  He grabbed my shoulder and steered me into the living room, forcing me down on the couch.  I sat down, my eyes wide as I watched him standing in front of me.  He glared down at me then motioned for his men to search the area.  "Hey!  You can't just barge in here like that!"  I exclaimed, getting up.  Ross shoved me back down and I frowned.  Rude much? 

"Where's Captain America and his team of fugitives?"  General Ross demanded.  Thankfully, I was well versed in sarcastic remarks and lying to adults (Aunt May who hardly believed anything she thought could be a lie).  However, I didn't know what would help or hurt Tony once he got up here to explain.  "Where's Tony?" 

"Whoa, man,"  I said, raising my hands in surrender as he yelled in my face.  General Ross didn't back up, so I just awkwardly patted his shoulder.  He straightened up, getting out of my face looking a little confused.  "Tony's down in his lab working on a new prosthetic for Rhodey.  But forget that, Captain America's back?  Dude, that's so cool!  Where is he?"  I asked, pretending to get excited.  As far as I knew, General Ross didn't know I was Spider-man.  All he knew was I was some kid Tony had taken in.  "Is he in New York?  Man, that's awesome.  Hey, if you find him, you should let him know I want to meet him.  He's one of the coolest heroes around--except for Iron Man who's my personal favorite.  What do you think?  Is Iron Man or Captain America cooler?"  I didn't wait for a reply.  I was just trying to babble long enough to give Tony some time to get up here.  He was taking a long time, though, and I wasn't sure I could keep rambling without Ross getting even more mad, but this time at me.  "No, don't answer that.  It's Iron Man all the way, am I ri--"  General Ross clamped his hand over my mouth and I stopped talking immediately.  I stopped moving, too.  He was kind of a scary dude. 

"Shut up, kid,"  he growled.  "Who even are you?"  He didn't remove his hand, so my response was muffled.  He narrowed his eyes at me then slowly removed his hand.  However, before I could say anything, Tony spoke up from behind me. 

"That's Peter,"  Tony said, resting his hand on my shoulder.  It was a lot more comforting than the way General Ross had done it earlier.  "And he's my kid."  General Ross must have realized his mistake right then because he backed up, his eyes a little wider than normal and looking a little more scared.  That's was nice to know: General Ross was actually afraid of Tony.  I wonder if Tony knew that.  "What do you want, Ross?  And it better be good if you think you can just go around manhandling my kid." 

"We got word Captain America and his team flew in,"  General Ross said.  He laced his fingers together behind his back and began pacing in front of us.  I glanced up at Tony who still had his hand on my shoulder.  He was focused on Ross, though, so I turned back and looked at Ross as well.  "In fact, the exact location we received was this compound.  Not only that, but you return at the same time after not being here for weeks." 

"You do realize Justice and I had a falling out, right?"  Tony asked.  General Ross didn't reply, simply turned his head to look up at Tony as he spoke.  "If he showed up on my doorstep, you can bet everything you own I would turn him in without hesitation." 

"Interesting,"  General Ross replied, continuing his pacing.  "I seem to recall you helping a certain team member get his people off my Raft."  Tony raised his eyebrows but looked uninterested in Ross's accusation.  He was really good at pretending to not listen or care.  "Now, I know you claim to not have helped at all and all your stories and tech history seem to add up, but you can't deny you returning to the compound the same time Captain America does sounds a little suspicious.

"What's my appearance here got anything to do with Spangles returning?"  Tony asked, removing his hand from my shoulder to fiddle with something in his other hand.  "Again, I'd kick him to you before you even knew he was en route if he did return."  General Ross took a slow, deep breath then looked at Tony with what I assumed was supposed to be suppressed anger, but he looked near furious. 

"I'm not stupid, Stark,"  General Ross said between clenched teeth.  Tony stopped fiddling with is hands and shoved both in his pockets.  "I know you know where they are."  Tony sighed and clapped his hands together, looking down at me on the couch. 

"Okay,"  Tony replied.  "We've done this whole circle of questions thing and I'm done.  Peter and I are hungry and you're interrupting our dinner.  Bye-bye!"  Tony moved forward and wrapped his arm around General Ross, guiding him back towards the door.  FRIDAY must have alerted his escorts because they came running to his side from various corners of the compound.  "Do you have a warrant to search my place?"  General Ross didn't answer as he walked out the door.  "Didn't think so.  Expect a call from my lawyers,"  Tony yelled after him.  He slammed the door shut and I heard the electronic lock activate.  We watched General Ross pull out of the driveway and relaxed once FRIDAY confirmed they had long passed the gate at the front. 

"They searched the compound," I told Tony.  He sighed, dragging his hand down his face then turned to walk into the kitchen.  I followed. 

"FRIDAY, did Ross's men take or leave anything?"  Tony asked, grabbing the paper menu I had made.  It had every fast food place close enough to deliver along with their phone number. 

"Yes, sir,"  FRIDAY replied.  "They seem to have left some sort of listening device in almost every lab excluding your's and Peter's.  Would you like to to destroy them?"  Tony nodded, passing the menu to me and asking what I wanted. 

"Not yet,"  Tony said.  "Have the bots gather them all up and put them in my room.  I want to send Ross some love poems."  I grinned and Tony smiled back.  "You decided?"  he asked. 

"Thai."