Ch. 1

Peter's POV

"I'm going to what?"  I asked. Tony had definitely failed to mention this and it seemed to me like it was very important information.  However, he must not have thought so because he just ignored me, turning to answer Steve who had nearly choked when Tony made his announcement. 

"How long were we gone?"  Steve whispered to Sam. Sam shrugged and Tony didn't bother answering him. 

"You're all aware of what's been going on,"  Tony said.

"I'm not,"  I muttered. Tony didn't even glance at me. 

"SHIELD is no longer an official government company, but Fury has requested our help on this,"  Tony explained. Everyone listened closely as Tony repeated what Fury had allegedly told him. When Fury had contacted him, I had no clue.  Tony tended to keep me in the loop about things, but apparently he had decided not to tell me about this. "Dark magic is what he thinks is going on and personally, it makes a lot of sense."  Wanda raised her hand, turning away from Vision.

"Do you really think it's best to go off basic information from an agency that is no longer recognized?"  she asked. Tony blinked at her blankly. "I'm asking why we're jumping into this without more information." 

"Oh,"  Tony replied.  She rolled her eyes and Tony flicked his phone, project a hologram for everyone to see.  "We're not lacking information. Between my personal satellites, FRIDAY, and other connections, I was able to come up with a lot more information than even Fury knows I have.  Follow me upstairs and I'll show you all." They all seemed hesitant to go upstairs. It was within reason, too. General Ross tended to show up unannounced and they were technically still fugitives.  "FRIDAY blacked out the compound. We're safe," Tony assured them.

"Alright,"  Steve agreed.  He stood up and Tony turned to unlock the door.  He opened it up and headed up the steep, spiral steps with me following close behind.  I could hear the others following after me as we all walked up the stairs and into the main floor of the compound.  As soon as we had all gotten to the top, Tony led everyone to his lab and presented them with information to read up on and look through. 

I figured I would just do it later and headed over to where Tony was standing.  He was scrolling through something on his desktop, but stopped when he saw me standing by him. 

"What's up, kid?"  he asked. I fidgeted with my hands and Tony turned away from his desk to face me completely.  "Are you okay?" he asked, bringing a hand up to feel my forehead. I pushed his hand away, but he just frowned and looked at me. 

"How come I didn't know about the attacks?"  I asked. Tony sighed and leaned against his desk, shoving his hands in his pockets.  He looked at the ground, probably trying to think up a response, then glanced at the rest of the team that was still reading all about the attacks. 

"I didn't want to worry you,"  Tony told me. I frowned, pulling the sleeves on my hoodie over my hands to play with them.  "You already had a lot on your plate and I figured I could at least give you a break on this."  Unfortunately, I understood what he was saying. It just meant I couldn't get upset with him for not telling me. 

"Can you just tell me what's on those papers?"  I asked. I didn't feel like doing a bunch of reading.  If Tony could just give me a run down on what was going on, then I could try and catch up on homework up until we needed to head out to wherever we would be going. 

Tony explained how there had been quite a few sightings of strange creatures all around the globes.  They started in Scotland but then branched out to France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and were slowly making their way down Africa and across Asia. He'd had FRIDAY collect every bit of information possible from each sighting and had even sent some of his bots to the scene to check it out.  Apparently, it had been going on for nearly four months now, but it was getting big enough and moving fast enough Tony had decided to stop it before it became too big of an issue. Besides, getting a hold of Steve was difficult and then my Aunt died so Tony had dropped everything until I was functioning well again. 

"So there you go, kid,"  Tony finished, clapping his hands together.  Everyone else was still reading but Wanda who looked like she was having a telepathic conversation with Vision.  "Go finish your homework.  We're headed out soon."  I nodded and hurried out of the lab, running upstairs to my bedroom so I could do my homework had been waiting for quite some time.  Even though we didn't live at the compound, I still had my own room for when we did stay.  Thankfully, I had grabbed my backpack on our way over so I had my homework.