Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

 Winnie knew that she had to get William home. Everything wasn’t quite making sense to her. William’s life was sold to the king now, and she knew that Beatrice would never do that. It just didn’t make sense.

 Walking into her room, she grabbed the clothes that she was wearing when she was training, and changed into them. She pulled her hair into a bun, and grabbed her bow and arrow that she hid under her mattress.

 “It’s time,” Winnie said, looking at Liz.

 “You can’t fight tonight, Winnie.” Liz said.

 “And why can’t I? I have the most experience out of the three of us,”

 “I know,” Liz said, “but you have to take William home. You will never be able to take him if you don’t do it tonight. You know that my father will be too preoccupied to even notice. But he will notice after the war.”

 “It’s not going to last just one night, Liz,”

 “You don’t know that. Mary is on my side, Winnie. You wanted to take him home and save him from his death, then there are consequences.”

 “So are you saying that you aren’t on my side with this? That you really thought that I should have let William, a six year old boy may I remind you, go out and fight to his death, being killed in only mere seconds of the war.” Winnie was aggravated and made no attempt to hide it.

 “No, Winnie, but you have to sneak him out tonight. If my father catches you, he will make you watch William die a slow, painful death, and then he will kill you. I cannot dig you out of that hole.” Liz said, and she was speaking the truth.

 “You don’t have to. You want me to leave tonight? Then fine, I will. I will do exactly what you say, princess.” Winnie said her voice filled with attitude.

 “Winnie,” Liz said, with an aggravated tone, “You know that you are overreacting! Please, just trust me,”

 Winnie looked at Liz, and nodded. She couldn’t bring herself to say anything more than that. She walked up to Mary’s room, and saw William on the couch, still sleeping. He looked so cute that Winnie felt bad waking him.

 “William,” she said, shaking his arm.

 “Mm,” He mumbled as he rolled over.

 “You need to wake up now,” Winnie said in the sweetest voice she could muster.

 “Ok,” He grumbled and got up, stretching.

 “I am taking you back home tonight,” The way that William’s face lit up was priceless. This little boy wanted nothing more than to just go back home with his family.

 “You should pack up your stuff, and then you can come back to my room,” Winnie said, looking around for the clothes that she assumed that Mary had made for him. It wasn’t much, just a change of clothes, but something. They grabbed them, and then walked out the door.

 “This is a nice room,” William said, and ran to the window to watch all of the knights set up for the war. It was sad, really. Little William had barely made it out of that alive.

 “Thanks,” Winnie said, joining William at the window. The men were getting their proper equipment, which wasn’t much for the servants. Some of the knights were on horses, galloping around in full armor. Looking everywhere, Winnie could not seem to find Edward amongst the crowd.

 Winnie gathered up a blanket to make a sack and a change of clothes. She packed it up into a little sack, and was ready to leave. She knew that from here to Wellington was not even a day’s walk.