Chapter One

Chapter One

            Life was going all right for Winnie until her parents moved to an old, small town. It’s not the wealthiest town, because poor old buildings were crumpling to pieces. Although Winnie moved there at the young age of two, it was still hard for a girl to grow up in a town that’s falling apart.

            Winnie grew up in such a poor town that she wore rags, sheets to beds, and curtain cloth for clothing. Her family could hardly afford to take care of her. It was hard to be a sixteen year old and wear sheets and rags all dirty and rugged. The next day Winnie woke up to the buzzing and humming of people’s voices on the dirt road. The dirt, was getting all over her clothes, making them dirtier, and her hair was full of dirt as she awoke to the townspeople on the road. This was kind of an embarrassment for Winnie. Although she saw it happen all the time to people she sees in town, it was just as embarrassing for her, as when it had happened to all the others. All the eyes of the poor people just like her, glared at her like it was her time to go. All of a sudden their eyes shifted to “The King’s Medieval Castle."

            Winnie took a hard gulp and looked around for her parents. They were nowhere in sight. She turned around looking at the place where her house used to stand. Now there are just parts of her house left behind. Her house had been knocked down. Winnie had feared a day like this would come for a long time. She called out, “Mom? Dad? Where are you?” No answer came back to Winnie and her eyes began to fill with tears.

            Finally in the distance Winnie heard someone shout, “OVER HERE!” She turned around and started running. In the vastness she saw her parents. When she finally got there she saw that her mom was holding back tears.

            “Why did I wake up on the street?” Winnie asked, fearing because she knew the answer all too well.

            “Well sweetie…” her mother began trying to remain as calm as possible, “We were forced to sell our house. The pay to our house was building up and finally we knew we couldn’t pay it anymore, so we were forced to sell it to the king, and he knocked it down.” Winnie just kind of stared up at her mother fearing that this day had come so quickly. She took a hard gulp as her mother continued. “We were also forced to-” she sniffled trying to stay strong for Winnie‘s sake. With the sweetest voice she could muster she continued. “Winnie, sweetie, we were also forced to… to… to send you up to the King’s Castle.” Her mother finished trying not to stutter.

            Winnie didn’t know how to feel. It was almost as though her emotions were being played with. Winnie felt the sorrow in her mother’s voice and couldn’t help but feel sad. She was sad and a little angry. She tried to shake the angry feeling she had, but it just wouldn’t go away. My parents didn’t support me, Winnie thought. But it just was just too hard for Winnie to concentrate on her emotions. All she thought of was her life ahead of her now, without her parents and the treacherous life ahead of her at the castle.

            Winnie’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her father’s voice, “It is okay honey. Look on the bright side, kiddo. At least you get to spend some time in that huge castle the king’s got there, and maybe it won’t be that bad. You’ll only be there for a year.” Her father encouraged, trying to keep his “manliness” up. He tried to point out the positives rather than the obvious negatives, but it wasn’t really making a difference.

            “That’s right,” her mother started, “We will only be a town away living with your aunt. You have to leave soon though, Winnie, I love you so much. We both do.” Winnie’s mother said, gesturing to her husband and herself. It was sounding too much like a good bye too soon. “You could have a great time there Winnie,” her father started, “only if you make the best of it.” he said, trying his hardest to sound convincing. He was right in a way, though, and Winnie knew it.