"It wasn't that weird, it was just an unusual colour," he replies, a crease in his forehead as he thinks about why the girl before him is acting so queer. 

"It made me feel like...like there was someone staring at me."

I see Newt open his mouth to come up with a reply, probably an assurance that it's just an insect or that I'm acting strange. I would never know what what he wanted to say then. Because just then, a wave of the most terrifying, most haunting sound crashed into our ears. Echoing from somewhere deep within the maze, came an unearthly moan, faint but harrowing enough to burn my eardrums. It was human and inhuman at the same time, which made it more frightful than if it had been just of either one. Even the agonizing screams I heard during my nightmare was as scary as a dog's growl compared to the howl that was still echoing against the maze walls. While I had immediately flinched upon hearing that sound and covered my ears with hands, Newt had remained still, but he had an expression of absolute terror on his face. We stayed in that position for what seemed an eternity before I lowered my hands, the eerie moan still ringing in my ears. I look up to Newt's face and still see the terror etched upon his face, into the creases of his forehead and downward turn of his lips. I gently touch his arm and he looks at me, and I see my fear reflected in his eyes. 

"We should go," he whispers and I simply nod. We start running back the way we came from, and though he did not say so, I know Newt and I were asking ourselves the same question: Who...or what made such a bizarre sound? 

___________________________________________________________

"About time you both came back. We were getting really worried," says Alby, as Newt and I enter the Glade after running continuously for hours. We hadn't spoken a word to each other on the way back, yet my mind wouldn't stop having conversations with itself. What creature could have made that type of sound? I don't want to think about it. What if there is something dangerous in the maze? There is no proof of that. There are a million places or possibilities that sound could have come from. What if that thing can come inside the Glade? JUST STOP THINKING ABOUT  IT. I need to do something about it. I need to discuss this with Newt, Alby and Minho first. One thing I knew for sure was that ever since that incident, an enormous pit in stomach had appeared, filled to the brim with fear and it felt like it was dragging me down. 

"Why?" Newt asks slightly out of breath. 

Alby, Minho and George slightly raise their eyebrows at us and Minho replies, "You didn't hear it?"

"You all heard it too?" I say, my voice slightly higher from surprise. They all nod solemnly and Alby adds in, 

"It gets worse. Everyone in the Glade heard it as well." 

My jaw slightly drop and I feel the pit of fear in my gut become heavier. 

"What are we going to say to them? We don't even know where the sound came from," says Newt, running his hands through his golden-brown locks. 

"We can't tell them the truth. They are already scared as it is," replies George. 

"We can't lie to them! We need to learn to trust each other if we want to survive, and lying to them isn't going to make us go very far with that." I whisper-shout, hoping none of the nearby Gladers could hear the discussion. 

"I agree with Rosa," Newt pipes in softly. "Also, if they feel like we are hiding something, they might go out into the maze themselves and we don't even know what we are facing here."

Alby heavily sighs, clearly conflicted over what to tell the rest of the Gladers. 

"We will tell them the truth," he finally states. "Rosa is right, we need to gain everyone's trust. But I'm going to make sure none of them ever get the urge to go out there."